Cleaning up a Charles Parker number 474 double-swivel bench vise

BTW so you don't lose the work you did. At this point I mounted it on a 2x6 so that it wouldn't fall to the floor. Mine (diff model) always wanted to fall toward the handle, so rather than have it drop to the floor I mounted it.
Just saying you've done all this work, don't risk it deciding to do a header off the bench.

edit:
On second thought, noticing the pics, mine would have already fallen foward, I think you have more mass over the center with that swivel.. ignore what I said.

Just saying you've done all this work, don't risk it deciding to do a header off the bench.

Actually Jeff, I think you're spot on.
It seems to want to lean toward the handle end, unless almost fully closed.
-brino

What a great little project, well done. Thanks for sharing this with us! I love it when old tools are brought back to life.

Really nice job on the vice Brino. I've never seen one quite like it. Cheers, Mike

This is probably the final update for this thread.

I got the last three little parts(2 wrenches and the little u-shaped anchor plate) painted, the main screw and nut greased up, and I have already removed the Record vise that this is replacing from the work bench!

My son helped me cut one coil from the end of a spring to make one new spring clip to capture one of the wrenches (replacing a flat c-clip that I suspect was not original).

Thanks for all the views, help and suggestions!

-brino

20170516_184540.jpg 20170516_184547.jpg 20170516_184606.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool, I enjoyed watching this restore. I have a nice old record wood working vice I need to do this to.

I spent some more time last night moving the little keeper back and forth.
I was going easy because it didn't really need to come out....it was more about a full cleaning and understanding.

Slowly it started moving more and more....and then SUCCESS!

View attachment 233309 View attachment 233310

the dovetail:
View attachment 233311

the nut and keeper, as found:
View attachment 233312

and cleaned-up:
View attachment 233313

Now I just need to (find the time to):
-finish cleaning some bits like the main handle, the swivel wrenches, etc.
-paint the outer casting for the fixed jaw, swivel wrenches, etc.
-I think I'll use GlideCote on the movable jaw "slide" areas:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=40952&cat=1,230,64343,64350
-lubricate
-reassemble
-mount

What's recommended lube for lead screw and nut? I was thinking either lithium or plain extreme pressure wheel bearing grease.
Any reason those are not preferred?

Thanks,
-brino

What did you use to "tap out" the nut? A brass drift punch? dead blow mallet?
It was amazing to see that there wasn't any corrosion under that nut.
Nice work Brino. How thick is that CP body casting? It would be great to document some specs for this vise. (if you have time).
This will be a great future resource to anyone rebuilding a CP vise. This thread will come up in a Google search for all time.
Thanks for sharing.

Back