Colchester Triumph 7.5" (15") Gap Bed 1963

^ I'm not sure what that machine is but its old and its cool!

I've been using mine for some heavy work. I have a friend who has a Mega-Truck, that we are always tinkering with. Its a 1,000 HP '56 F-100 on Alcohol, 43" Ag tires, and 2.5 tons Rockwells. Well, he wanted to lighten up the wheel hubs, because evidently thats a cool thing to do. So, we threw a test one on the lathe. The hubs are being run flipped out to make the truck wider so in the photo the hubs are flipped backwards to the tailstock is holding the inside on a large bullnose live center.

IMG_20170108_170856_191_zpswlbcydlr.jpg

Also, my wife is into a lot of art stuff, vintage art stuff and she found me some replication prints of some old ads from a Popular Mechanics Magazine. Pretty cool. Going to frame them and hang them in the shop near the machine.

IMG_20170108_214106_445_zpsmiadsjv3.jpg

IMG_20170108_214302_333_zpslpsesdql.jpg

And lastly, right after I started turning on the Rockwell hub, the L1 draw nut on the spindle let loose suddenly and the chuck tried to eject on me. I got everything stopped before any major damage but I had tightened that nut down with the wrench really hard, and it came loose. I went ahead and tightened it more and hadn't lost any alignment on the work piece but it was really weird, and scary. Also, I began the process in ordering a new chuck, the 3 jaw that came with the machine is just too far gone to really do much with. I tried to regrind the jaws and it works for the diameter that it was set too for grinding but then if I go larger or smaller, the runout is excessive again, meaning the scroll must be damaged. Ohh well. So I have a Bison 6 Jaw 8" on the way, plain back and am now looking for an L1 adapter plate I can machine.

I get to use one of these at work ... very stout machine ,great for heavy or light delicate work .

Back