Collet Chuck Identification?

TomKro

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a set of collets listed as Burnerd Multisize and a matching collet chuck with D1-4 mount setup that came with an EMCO lathe. I'm in the process of unloading "stuff" due to a relocation, and wondering how to identify the manufacturer of the chuck. I don't see "Burnerd" listed on the chuck, and wondering if there are "clones" out there in the wild? The chuck looks quite clean and well built (outside appears nicely finished), but I don't want to advertise it as a "name brand" if it could be something else. Any way to know if it's truly "Burnerd"?

Another question as to approximate value. E-bay has similar hardware at sky high prices, but backtracking on image searches has similar chucks selling at auction in the $100 range. Does anybody know what a reasonable price range is for these things?

The chuck is pretty clean, most of the collets look to be in good shape, but one or two have some surface corrosion on the body. Looks like mouse pee damage to me. I don't think the previous owner stored them with the best care.

I attached an image for reference.

C10ColletChuckAndCollets_resized.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help.
TomKro

Jacob's, Hardinge & others all made a rubber flex collet system. These system seem to work well as the they have a clamping range, usually. 015 or .025 .......they work well, but never really caught on in industry.....

No idea. In fact, I’m no use at all. But my opinion might inform? It’s been my opinion that if I found one at an auction or flea market, I’d probably buy it if I could get it very cheaply. Otherwise there are more easily procured sets of well supported collet systems available.
Why not keep and use?

Tom , I saw the chuck and collet set . Pretty nice set . These and the Jacobs are used when working on thin pipe without distorting the walls . The flex chucks from Jacobs were very expensive to produce and still sell for good money . China never reproduced these type chucks for that reason . :big grin: Maybe we need to do some horse trading before you move if I have anything you could use .

Those collets appear to be all steel with sliding jaws, not anything really similar to Jacobs Rubberflex collets.

Thanks for all the feedback.

I took another pic to show the side view of the chuck, and also highlight a few other issues I just discovered.

Here's the pic.

ColletChuckSideView_resized.jpg

Apparently, the rear of these collets have some sort of material guide ring - so maybe normally fed from the back (?). It appears 8 out of 12 are missing the guide and three tiny setscrews that hold the guide in place. Bummer.

As to info provided:
I can see how the collets can provide a good centered grip, but for this particular style with a turn key to clamp the collet, maybe a lever style collet closer would be nicer. I think a lever operated unit was offered with the Emco machines.
I was aware of collets with elastic material construction. I'm guessing the perimeter springs on these Burnerd collets allow a larger grip range. One of the collets listed a range of 5/8 thru 3/4 inch, so maybe that justified the complex construction. Way back when I acquired the machine, I carefully took apart one of the collets to clean up the body and make sure the plates weren't corroded. They are not easy to re-assemble.
As to future use, the machine they came with has never been set up and is being sold. I was considering selling the somewhat specialty collet and D1-4 faceplate separately, leaving the machine with a decent 3 jaw chuck, 4 way tool post, and tailstock drill chuck.
As to use with thin material - that appears to make sense, given the six grip lines. Good to hear there probably aren't any Asian knockoffs of this particular style collet chuck. The Burnerd hardware looks to be good quality. A shame the collets weren't stored a little better.
As to the sliding jaws, from previous disassembly, it appears they slide in the body nicely when properly lubricated. Maybe durability with all steel construction was their market (?).

Now I just have to find someone who really likes that chuck/collet style, and also has a desire to refab those rear rings to turn it into a clean set.

Funny thing, I'm supposed to be unloading in preparation for a downsizing move, but a new (to me) floor style 17 inch drill press magically appeared on my trailer today. I actually purchased it well before we even knew a grandbaby was on the way. I finally picked it up for a trip from Maryland to Buckeye Land.

Thanks for all the information!

TomKro

I have the same chuck and collets They are Pratt Burnerd . FWIW I would consider keeping that setup. It is very accurate and versatile and offers a wide range of size vs 5c I have seen the collets sets fetch in the $500 range used those appear to be in really nice shape. The chuck is probably in the same price range. High quality stuff What part of the Buckeye are you headed to? I know what you mean about trouble downsizing.

I have the same chuck and collets They are Pratt Burnerd . FWIW I would consider keeping that setup. It is very accurate and versatile and offers a wide range of size vs 5c I have seen the collets sets fetch in the $500 range used those appear to be in really nice shape. The chuck is probably in the same price range. High quality stuff What part of the Buckeye are you headed to? I know what you mean about trouble downsizing.
Good to have verification that the chuck is Pratt Burnerd. Odd to me that such a quality chuck doesn't appear to have their name on it.

As to pricing, nice to hear they fetch relatively big coin (in good condition). I noticed e-bay had a pristine unused collet set (no chuck) with an asking price of about $2300. I was shocked. That's well past my comfort zone for hobby components. I truly don't possess the machining skills to make proper use of that precision.

We purchased a place just south west of Marysville. We were in a rush to find a place, so I overlooked more than a few cosmetic issues. The home is about 30 years old and I think every room could use drywall cleanup of some sort. I joke that the only reason we don't have termites is they don't like mold and radon. All first world problems. We've been blessed in more ways than we can count.

TomKro

Back