Collet Racks

Old Iron

Active User
Registered
Space being at a premium in my shop and I want to get some Hex & Square Collets I needed a place to put them. I had a extra South Bend Collet Rack made out of wood (I'll replace it later). Anyway went to the hardware store this morning to get some fittings.And this is what I ended up with (works for me:biggrin:).

Paul

Collet Rack.JPG

Last edited:
I like it, did you mount it to the lathe or is it freestanding? If freestanding is it on casters?

Great idea! The photo attached is my solution --- I had one of those sheet-metal Enco racks I wasn't using, so I cut it down, repainted, and built a case around it. I don't use the special collets much, so they keep clean and out of the way...these are metric, hex and square....the case is probably thicker than you would think it needed to be, but the metal is retained in rabbets cut in the case sides, so thin would be weak....not to make this into a woodworking post.....:biggrin:

collet.JPG

Video_man Nice setup never hurts to have wood and machining stuff in the same post.

Paul

Sweet, both look great, Im not sure what I like better, the wood, or the other.
I have allways wanted to get the collets out of the tool box, and on a rack like that. It seems to make sense to have the tooling readily available rather than running back and forth to the tool box as I do now.

Good lookin Racks
And everybody likes a (Nice Rack) right Guys? ;>)

Re: Collet Racks or Collet Box

I like the racks and I like the box. I just have to decide which I like best so I can copy.

Benny

Only trouble I see with the box is I'd be wondering where I put it.:headscratch:

Paul

The rack I have my R8's in has a hinged lid. It is open all around, but a cover closes over the top. I can't remember where I bought it, but it was about '93, and I think it was Enco.

Only trouble I see with the box is I'd be wondering where I put it.:headscratch:

Paul

Your right about that. I gathered some sheet metal tools together and put them in a metal box so they would all be in the same place. I need one of the hammers and have been looking for the box for a couple of weeks now.

Benny

Back