Computer monitor selection for CAD

Forty Niner

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I've just installed and am poking around in FreeCad. It runs fine on the computer hardware I have, but I'd like to improve my computer monitors which are quite old. I like using two monitors; one for CAD and the other to display CAD tutorials.
My best monitor presently is a Dell ST2420L. I think I would like to get monitors with a bit larger screens and increased resolution.
What's a good cost effective route to take? What do you like?

First thing to do is check your graphics card to see what it will support for dual monitor resolution.
Beyond that I look for brightness (nits) rating in a recognized brand monitor. There is merit to having both monitors of the same screen size, resolution, brightness, and color saturation especially when dragging things between monitors. In practice that means having two identical monitors.

Thanks for the information on the monitors. Both are in a good price range, I think. I'm not sure about the curved one. How do you like the curve Hozzie? WobblyHand, it looks like your is a good value.

Thanks for the information on the monitors. Both are in a good price range, I think. I'm not sure about the curved one. How do you like the curve Hozzie? WobblyHand, it looks like your is a good value.
I don't know what price came up for you, but that monitor was $20 cheaper a couple of days ago. Must be Amazon jacking with the price because I looked at it twice within a couple of days. Nonetheless, I like the 4k monitor. It's basically four 1920x1080 monitors in one package arranged 2x2. Good for learning CAD, instructions on one side, CAD program on the other, give or take.

Last edited:
I use a iiyama prolite 1920x1200 monitor for FreeCad and programming work. This monitor uses a higher vertical resolution (ratio) so there is a bit more vertical space.
1920*1080 is standard ratio

I've just installed and am poking around in FreeCad. It runs fine on the computer hardware I have, but I'd like to improve my computer monitors which are quite old. I like using two monitors; one for CAD and the other to display CAD tutorials.
My best monitor presently is a Dell ST2420L. I think I would like to get monitors with a bit larger screens and increased resolution.
What's a good cost effective route to take? What do you like?
My old Dell 32" died after 20 years. I went to COSTCO and bought a LG Ultra Gear 32GN63T. Took it home and I loved it so much I ran right bake to Costco and bought another one. 2 large monitors are great if you have a card that will run them both.

e. 2 large monitors are great if you have a card that will run them both.

Yes, my card will run two monitors and I prefer using two monitors for this CAD learning adventure. I have a couple of old monitors running now. One with FreeCad display and the other for the Youtube FreeCad tutorial.

Not sure the exact model but I also have a 32" LG Ultra Gear that came from Costco. I've had it a couple of years now and no complaints. I use my old (bought in 2012) 24" Acer as a second monitor. Both are set at 1920x1080. Now using a 32" monitor as the primary, the old 24" seems dinky, but I've had no issues running two different sizes. I mostly use the old monitor to display reference documentation, while I work on the new (larger) monitor.

Because of space limitations I went with an over under arrangement using a TV wall mount from Harbor Freight for the upper monitor.

My wife has a pair of 36" Samsung monitors that are curved (she is a major gadget freak). With large monitors side by side there is some benefit to the curved screen. I think two flat screens of that size would feel like sitting off to the side of both monitors, but with the curve it makes you feel like the center of focus. Not sure if that makes sense.

Since mine are over under I have no issue with my screens being flat.

Last edited:
Back