Conversations From A Thread Hijack...

Will, now that the thread has been moved, we're waiting for more of your work :)

DZ dang you caught it on fire? Is there magnesium in Ti or something? How about some DZ tips for avoiding catching a lathe on fire, and just how do you put a metal fire out for that matter.

Will, now that the thread has been moved, we're waiting for more of your work :)

Ok, Randy, I'll dig up some pics & will post them tomorrow. :)

DZ dang you caught it on fire? Is there magnesium in Ti or something? How about some DZ tips for avoiding catching a lathe on fire, and just how do you put a metal fire out for that matter.

The chips ignited. Ferroecium rod is the most "flammable" material I have tried machining. Well of course it is, that's what is known as firesticks for those firestarters. That bruise is long gone though, I had to repaint the gap as it annoyed me looking at it all the time.

Tips for machining Ti to avoid ignition, simple, use flood coolant & the proper SFMs. To put out a Ti, magnesium, etc fire, youneed to use a class D fire extinguisher. They're not cheap though. Using sand works for small cases but is definitely not a 100% alternative.

Ti tippe tops:
Img_1097.jpg

Img_0700.jpg

Img_1102.jpg

Img_1850.jpg

Img_1594.jpg

Img_1105.jpg

Img_1854.jpg

Img_3853.jpg

Short action video:

WIP pics:

Preparing a 1"x1" piece of solid 6AL4V.