converted band filer

These are the guides , they were custom made for the conversion. It would be nice to have roller bearing guides , are bearing guides better for metal cutting?. Notice lower right guide is aprox 1" long it is sloted for adjustment. Three are aprox 3/8 w -1/4"d x 3" l , I plan on using 1/2" blades I ordered two M42 bi metal blades 8-10 tip 114" 9'6" made by Morress? . I made a brush below guides to clean chips off blade pics to comeimage.jpg image.jpg question is roller guides should I make some, would they work better ?. Thanks
Derrick

image.jpg New paint , could of come out better but the wind knew I was painting. Got blades in and I'm breaking them in now cutting some .750 square hot rolled for some anvil tooling.
The saw seems to cut good to me , thinking about making roller guides for it . The table is on and squared up now.

looks beautiful! I wouldn't expect you'd need roller bearing side guides, those metal blocks should be fine, although if you're worried by friction you could always make some sets out of brass/ bronze/ delrin for little effort and see which work best. Or use a stick of wax on each side of the blade everytime you use it (I use a candle, doubles up as emergency lighting too :)). I don't remember seeing any saws that size with roller bearing side guides, although I certainly wouldn't consider myself an expert.

Thank you Mat, I kinda like it , while going thru it I put new neoprene tires on it and noticed the top wheel bronze bushing was never drilled for the grease zert, so it never got grese and have a little ware in it , the blade tracks good on top but a little to the front on bottom wheel, I'll make a new bronze bearing for top wheel soon.
I'm running .035 vp 10-14 mp 42 blades but thinking I should of got .025 thick blades .
This saw will be a good addition to the shop.
Thanks
Derrick

I really like this saw , I have 114" variable pitch 10-14 tpi blades it will cut from 1/8 to 4" metal

Back