Converting A Basic Taiwanese Drill Press To Vfd Controlled Beauty

...Does the foot-switch just give the reverse then? Do you hold it for reverse or is it latching with a push to toggle between forward and reverse? Is the reverse speed the same as the forward speed?

-brino
Yes, just reverse. When in drill mode, it is dead but in tapping mode, while it is pressed, the motor is reversed. When you let off, it goes back to forward. Both directions have the same speed.

Very nice job. I was going to post my conversion, but yours puts mine to shame. Thanks for posting, I picked up some cool tips and motivation.
Please post yours as well and thanks for the compliment. The more that do, the more that will do and it helps all of us.

Looks good Nice shop.
Thanks David!

Ya thanks for the real pics (full size)
And nice build.

Next is that it's a 3 shaft machine with step pulleys

It's pretty

Did you start with 3 pulleys ?

I would have kept them.
I like the slow speed for tapping and hole saws, but you do lose torque at the lowest speeds.

I also would have put the control box somewhere else.
I can see it being in the way for a couple of things I have done.

Do you have a Canadian source on that footswitch ?

It's pretty

Did you start with 3 pulleys ?

I would have kept them.
I like the slow speed for tapping and hole saws, but you do lose torque at the lowest speeds.

I also would have put the control box somewhere else.
I can see it being in the way for a couple of things I have done.

Do you have a Canadian source on that footswitch ?

The centre shaft was worn in the cast iron housing and it really offers no benefit since the VFD can cover such a large range. I am still able to move the belt up and down on the two remaining pulleys for a huge range in speeds. I suppose that it might get in the way on some obscure part and certainly if you do one, you can put it wherever you wish.

The foot switch is used in my industry which is dry cleaning repair service. I can get them new and you can purchase one from me if you like. I don't have any used ones other than a pair of very rusty ones that you are free to have if you want to pick them up. Just PM me.

Very nice job on the press! I agree with getting rid of the countershaft. Could you provide a link to the foot switches you are taking about?

Alan

Very nice job on the press! I agree with getting rid of the countershaft. Could you provide a link to the foot switches you are taking about?

Alan
Do a search for "treadlite footswitch" and you'll find them as well as some sources.

Back