Converting a hobby bandsaw (10" Craftsman 3 wheel) to a miniature metal cutting saw.

And we have results, works about as good as I had hoped!

But first, pictures while the video renders.

I got the adapter sleeve cut down to the proper length and the jam screw cut down also.

IMG_4197.jpeg

I used some green loctite on this, as while I was pretty sure the jamb nut would suffice, I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy.

Here you can see I torqued the adapter sleeve to yield, meaning I broke the allen wrench I was using to tighten it, the wrench yielded so that's seated.

IMG_4198.jpeg

And the jamb screw got a little green fixing elixr and was tightened.

IMG_4199.jpeg

I had to do a wee bit of grinding of some motor standoff lugs to get the new motor to sit flush, but flush it now sits.

IMG_4201.jpeg

Remarkably the old motor mounting holes and the new motor threaded holes lined up with no issues. Sometimes the gods just shine on you.

Business end.

IMG_4200.jpeg

The motor controller is very different from what I'm used to, but its certainly serviceable, and once I work out the correct speed range should be nice to work with. I also need to figure out how and where to mount the controller, but Ill come up with something.

Here I'm just running it through the current speed settings and down to a stop and restart. The scratchy noise you hear is the blade scraping the zero clearance throat plate I made.

It now goes Slooooow.......

Back