Coolant guards for a B&S 510 Surface grinder.

Luvtofish

Registered
Registered
Im wanting to convert my 510 surface grinder to a coolant system. I picked up a coolant tank and pump but need to construct a containment shroud and return drain. B&S offered an optional coolant system for this unit but finding detailed pictures on how it was built is as rare as hens teeth. besides a frontal pic in the manual, I found one picture (below) of a unit that had a portion of the guards still intact. the manual says the rear guards were made from two overlapping pieces but no further details. Curious if anyone out there has pics or a good understanding of how the rear guards were made? Thanks

4553A554-6A84-4787-A674-5A7BBEE63E39.jpeg

The back guard is perhaps about the same height as the RH table guard, the front guard is about the same height as the back, but about 1/2 of the length is hinged and folds to the left to allow loading and observation., at least on the 618 micromaster.

Thanks. I did see some pics of a 618. The geometry of the guard in the rear and left side appears moderately different than how it could work on a 510.

I am in the process of converting my KO Lee 618 to coolant. So far, this is what I have decided:

1. An adjustable (Up/down) shroud directly behind the wheel. Just a flat plate that can be adjusted up or down in the Z axis to coincide with the wheel. This will prevent spray from hitting the column.

2. A square sheet metal U-shape inspired by the typical end cap found on surface grinders. Same height as the original guard, but the U wraps around more than the original and extends into the X axis about 9 inches on each side. This captures the coolant flung off the wheel.

3. I drilled/tapped for a drain hole, but of course the grinder's X table isn't specifically built to drain toward it. I will have to use a paint brush when I'm done to move any standing coolant into the drain.

4. I intend to use a simple coolant such as Kool Mist. It's cheap (about $40 per gallon and makes a total of 32 gallons). I will toss it after a couple of days or whenever I won't be using the grinder for a week or so.

It's a semi-auto with an automatic hydraulic X. I will add a motor to Y for stepover right after the coolant project is done. No intention to motorize the Z.

Back