[How do I?] Craftsman Scroll Chuck Disassembly 383.22990

Dollar Bill

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Just got this chuck and want to disassemble, clean an lube but it's not readily apparent how it comes apart. Looked for previous posts and other online sources but came up with zilch.

Also, would like to know if anyone could tell me where to find a pdf of the Craftsman user manual - For the exploded parts diagram.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Chuck.jpg
    Chuck.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 23
Looks like a large snap ring holds the chuck together. First time I have seen that design. That's where I would start and go slow and easy not forcing anything.
Yes, this is my first one too. I suspect you're right about the snap ring but it does not appear stout enough to hold the chuck together. Thought it best to ask someone with first hand knowledge. The snap ring is unusual in how both sides glad-hand together - Not sure if prying will deform the latches or where to find a replacement if it does. The chuck was made 12/53 (one year older than me) and appears to have minimal or zero use so I want to take care of it for the next person.

You take that snap ring off. It'll basically fall apart after that.

Thanks guys - I appreciate your help!

Dollar Bill,
I am working on one of these right now... I have just gutted the headstock in order to replace the two drive belts.....I hope the belts last a long time.......Some time ago I obtained this Atlas 12inch Pedestal lathe mod 3996 with this chuck on it...My problem has been that the chuck will not hold work more than a few minutes....I can't keep it tight....I took it apart, cleaned it up, greased it and re assembled it. After seeing what looked line numbers on the face I took some scotch bright and brake clean and removed a few years of crud to find it to be a Craftsman number 383.22990 which led me to this search.....I am going out next to remount the chuck and try to see if it will now hold the work....I can tell you I do not have high hopes....How did you make out with yours ?
Have fun,
buckshot

I didn't have any problem with my chuck loosening during use. These are very light duty chucks wilh limited clamping force but I'm wondering if your jaws aren't parallel meaning are they worn unevenly front to back? What are you turning that causes the chuck to loosen? Perhaps more experienced board members will offer a solution.

Back