Craigslist Find Surface Grinder - Now The Fun Starts

That baggie idea is great! I have lots of magnets sitting around.

I posted a while back about a Covel #6 "surface grinder" that I recently inherited. Jim Dawson helped me realize that it's actually a universal/T&C grinder. It also spins counter-clockwise. I was thrown when I took off the beat up wheel that was on it and had to twist left to get it off. I thought, "That can't possibly be safe!" Then I plugged it in and saw it spinning the "wrong" way and it made a little bit more sense.

I used some scrap sheet metal to build a 3-sided crap catcher on the end of mine. It was actually leftover parapet cover from a job I did a couple years ago that turned out to be the EXACT right size. Roughly 1/4" clearance on each side at full movement of the table both forward and back. Now I think I'll put some magnets on the back side and see what cool patterns I can make. :)

I have this grinder too, mine is badged was a Rockwell , and in a surface/tool and cutter grinder. Great tool!!!
Mine has a removable spindle ,but yours has no picture of the spindle with the cover removed. I got one spindle with the machine and made 6-7 more (tricky project) so I can swap rocks without having to redress the stone every time. I have a couple boron nitride and several diamond wheels. This tool gets used more than I would have thought. I have build/bought fixtures to sharpen saws, reamers, build acme threading cobalt tools, ect. It is a dandy tool . There is a trick little tool to remove the spindle. I can take a pic if you need it.

Here is my grinder. It is a B & S No.10. Actually designed for sharpening tools but I don't have any of the accessories. It also throws sparks to the right.
Noticed my cobbled up vacuum collector. The grinder is in a temporary locations (about 2 years now :) until I get the other side of my barn done. I think I am going to have to pull the spindle apart because the rear oiler does not what to feed correctly. Most likely a plugged drain.

Surface Grinder (Large).jpg

Ya know, since that grinder has obviously had the motor replaced, maybe the replacement motor turns the wrong way and either couldn't be reversed or the person who replaced it didn't know how to switch the wires. This could be a problem if the arbor screw decides to loosen itself due to incorrect rotation...

Stu
those delta grinders turn ccw.there is an arrow cast into the wheel guard that shows the wheel direction. i own one of these in very good condition. the spindle vibration could very well be coming from the replacement motor. in the operators manual delta states that the motor and spindle are balanced together to minimize vibration. this is a very handy little grinder to have around it works very well for small grinding jobs and tool sharpening. i found a free download of the operators manual on line.

Well, it's been about 9 months since I started this thread and I finallt got around to finishing up what I started on the surface grinder. I got it 'running' within a week or so but then got sidetracked before finishing up what I had in mind, so this was my 'Sunday' project of the day.

When I got it the magnetic chuck had a really ratty power cord and it was scary to plug it in. I pulled off the chuck and rewired it with a new cord and plug set, plus replacing the neon lights that indicate 'on' and 'de-magnetize'. I was concerned about wrecking the alignment but the chuck went back on nicely and after doing everything else was only off by a thou or so and a quick pass under the wheel sorted it out nicely.

Next was fitting the handwheel to the Z-Axis - I got tired of cranking it up and down with a crescent wrench, so I milled out a hex recess into an aluminum handwheel purchased long ago for this purpose and fitted it to the nut installed on the vertical threaded 'Z-Axis coarse adjust' rod I put on earlier. Easy this time around - I still had the program for milling the hex recess and just pushed the button!
IMG_20160410_121753370_HDR.jpg IMG_20160412_074626878.jpg

A bit of cleaning and rust removal - I think I got most of it - at least in the critical spots -

IMG_20160412_074642508.jpg
And I added a handy box with a duplex outlet to power both the motor and chuck from one outlet and a long enough cord to reach an outlet without creating trip hazards.

'Done enough' for now - maybe some gray paint in its future, but now it looks 'properly used'.
IMG_20160412_074613504.jpg

Stu IMG_20160410_121827410_HDR.jpg

You did excellent! Are you going to show us a pic of the finish the grinder makes on a part:acne:.

Gr8legs,

Nice job cleaning up the grinder and getting it running!

If you plan on any precision grinding jobs, it should be sitting on the concrete floor with no wheels.
Shim between the legs and floor to get the table under the magnetic chuck level.

Restorer

Back