Delta 17-430 Drill Press?

Splat

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys, anyone know anything of, or own, a Delta 17-430 drill press? I cannot find anything online about them except mention of MT2 and this model originally was sold without a motor. I'm looking for a good dp for metal duties. I found this one via a friend but it's a far drive away. The owner passed and the young son doesn't know anything about. Thanks.

Do you have any pics?
The US and Canadian made Delta's were pretty good. -rebuildable with good castings.
I'll check vintage machinery.org for that model

Yes, just going by the pics it looks solid but he did a repaint years ago. I don't have the pics available right now. I did check over at Keith's site, and other forums, but couldn't find anything. Also, no way to tell on speeds. It's a step pully, not variable, setup.

Yes, just going by the pics it looks solid but he did a repaint years ago. I don't have the pics available right now. I did check over at Keith's site, and other forums, but couldn't find anything. Also, no way to tell on speeds. It's a step pully, not variable, setup.
Has it got two pulleys or three? If it’s got two it’s setup more for wood speeds than metal. Good thing is you could add an intermediate pulley and make it a double reduction. You can’t do that with a reeves drive unfortunately. Ask me how i know :(

Yes, only 2 pulleys confirmed. I forgot to ask him about that. I do have a VFD controller and 3/4hp motor I was planning to utilize but cranking it down that much might not be good. @Janderso yes it looks like that one but "mine" has a bigger heavier table.

Well the fact you have a belt drive, a 3/4hp 3ph and a vfd you are good to mod. The mod I saw for adding the third pulley was using the column hole to make a mount for the pulley. When you knock down that much you probably won’t need to much change in the rpm(depending on the original rpm your motor is designed for if it’s like a 1750rpm) to get you down into the 100/200 rpm and with plenty or torque. That’s what I wish my otherwise wonderful Delta UniDrill had on it. The Reeves drive goes from 450 to 4100rpm. Not being a woodworker, it’s not that useful speed wise but everything else about it is a wet dream come true.

I hear ya. Yes, the motor I have is 1750rpm. I like that idea of adding a third pulley via the column. I haven't fired up my mig welder in a good while, too, if needed. :) Oh, and the table is the production type with 2 t-slot grooves. The kid's at work so I have to wait for him to get home to talk about pricing. Any ideas?

The kid's at work so I have to wait for him to get home to talk about pricing. Any ideas?
Hmm, I don’t have a clue. Cheaper is better with me and I feel like I scored on the UniDrill. It was love at first site and when he said $650 it was all about how we meet. He ended up meeting us halfway, swapped it into my truck and Bob’s your uncle. This is what it looks like.

Attachments

• 5FF8543F-FD1B-450B-B717-3B4B999ABD7F.jpeg
    5FF8543F-FD1B-450B-B717-3B4B999ABD7F.jpeg
    292.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 46E420E6-5752-4FB1-BD43-7C5F3CA85DFB.jpeg
    46E420E6-5752-4FB1-BD43-7C5F3CA85DFB.jpeg
    294.6 KB · Views: 21
Hot damn that's a beauty! Ya did good, Tony!

Back