Delta 17-430 Drill Press?

Thanks Splat. I got tool wood the first time I saw it posted when he bought it. It was a total shock when he decided to sell it but it was a good deal and I appreciate we were able to make it work. We live about 3hrs apart and him being willing to meet me half way was icing on the cake. I’d never even heard of this model and there were not many made and not many around. To be sure, it’s more suited to woodworking because of the speed, but for me it just has so many pluses and is the perfect fit into my style of work and need to have everything as a mobile workstation. The 24” arm, tilt and huge cast iron table w/t slots along with it being a bench mount so I could have all that storage underneath were perfect. I was offered an almost new Craftsman floor standing DP and am glad this came along instead. The bigger the table the better IMHO.

Wow. Nice. The stars were aligned for you. How heavy you think that thing is?

Just a guesstimate, but at least as heavy as my RF30 mill/drill and it's supposed to be 700+lbs. The stand it's on was scrap I got off a local 3x3 3/8" thick steel angle iron. Got 6, 6' pieces for $15ea. At the time I didn't have a clue what I'd use them for. Now I wish I would have bought the other 6 he had. Around here when I find good scrap I have to jump on it. I'm pretty sure that stand is 200lbs+. All on 4" cast iron castors. very heavy duty.

Nice. Where I work they're always discarding good stuff. It's hilarious when four guys are standing around the dumpster deciding who's going to get what. haha

You're lucky. The last place I worked we manufactured fruit and veg packing equipment so there was a steel dumpster and a SS dumpster plus a huge boneyard of stuff I could talk them out of. Almost nobody ever took anything home. My boss just stipulated that I not be re selling it. I didn't, couldn't, because I didn't have a shop or even a garage :( All my good scrap I got when my FIL passed and my braindead BIL got rid of all his stuff. My FIL used to also make packinghouse equipment so lots and lots of stuff. This area is mostly a tourist trap, so not much manufacturing and even less scrap.

BTW the head on mine is a 15-550. I guess the UniDrill itself was minus the head. I don't know if the 15 was the biggest that would fit.

So I had let it drop after figuring the 2 pulley speeds would be a problem. However the kid called me today asking if I'm still interested. I'm somewhat on the fence about the MT2 taper. I guess for big wholes I could use an annular cutter. The kid said he'd come down to $700. Btw, how would you know if it has the low-speed model? Are there different pulleys or just a slower motor is used like an 1140rpm? Thanks.

You are doing like I would and let it ride. If it’s supposed to happen it somehow works.

I don’t know enough about Delta to say for sure but they mostly seems to be geared towards working with wood. My drill has a rpm dial on the front and one ring is with the 1750rpm motor and the other is with 1150rpm. The 1150 drops it from 450 to 300 rpm. That would be great, but it’s a very specific size and I’ve been off and on looking for over a year and it’s pretty much a unicorn.

Yes, I've read and seen the Deltas like that with the speed dial at the top front of the column. I just learned that this is not a VS factory setup, but he says it is connected to "some kind of box." He's going to send more pix tomorrow. From what he says it sounds like it's got a vfd setup already. Interesting.

Hope his pic’s tell you something. Saying “some kind of box” sure sets off my spidy sense. And not in a good way :)

My limited space has really complicated trying to do a mod. That and the Reeves drive is basically the whole top of the DP. Which is the cast iron housing, tac linkage, adjustment linkage and reeves mechanism. It’s works right now so it’s not worth messing with but if someone ever said that they wanted to trade for a complete 15xxx head complete that was a plain old belt drive I’d do it. Which is another unicorn dream.

Back