[How do I?] Depth micrometers with thinner rod? Action face to bolt lug measurements

jareese

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I have a Fowler 0-6" depth micrometer where the rod diameters are 0.1769+/- at the measurement face.
I'm trying to measure to the lug face, from the action face, on an action that has a narrower diameter than that. (0.13-0.14+/-) What are some of you using with for a depth micrometer that has a thinner/narrower rod diameter?

Thanks.

*Edited for clarity

Last edited:
I just use the standard size rod - it really doesn't have to hit with the whole diameter. Having a smaller rod doesn't make it feel any better (I do have a smaller diameter depth mic, but it's an inexpensive digital that eats batteries with alacrity so I never use it).

GsT

That’s why I’m asking - it’s not reaching the lug face due to being too wide.

Some depth micrometers use a blade about .060 X .200 that help you reach tight spots.

My offshore depth mic I bought 20 years ago was unbranded, but had this feature. Starrett has one, follow this link:

With the bolt inserted in the action measure from the action face to the end of the bolt nose. Remove the bolt place in padded vise measure from the end of the bolt nose to the front of the lugs add the two measurements and deduct the required clearance. Keep in mind that depending on the action, clearance is usually .005-.010 so the stacking tolerance really is inconsequential.

With the bolt inserted in the action measure from the action face to the end of the bolt nose. Remove the bolt place in padded vise measure from the end of the bolt nose to the front of the lugs add the two measurements and deduct the required clearance. Keep in mind that depending on the action, clearance is usually .005-.010 so the stacking tolerance really is inconsequential.
Ah - never even crossed my mind to do that, I 'assumed' it had to be done in the action as well... *Facepalm* moment.

Thanks.

Back