Derbyshire WW BB headstock disassembly - help needed

NKmachinist

Registered
Registered
Hello All, uploaded a video file to show the problem with bearing. This is a fixer upper watch makers lathe. Seller told me the bearing is jumpy. But it does not rotate more than a quarter.
It appears stuck. I am looking for guidance from the experts here to understand what tools I would need to disassemble and reassemble the bearings (same or new depending on the condition) on the headstock safely without causing damage. Any precautions to take to prevent damage to the Bakelite pulley. Pulley is retained by a small hex screw. I have removed it. I have partially disassembled the headstock. Collet side bearing is barden 203SS and draw bar side bearing is small, barden 202SSX1. I am unsure if I will be reusing the bearings. Will get to know the condition after disassembly. I reached out for a quote, someone asked for $400 to disassemble and reassemble.. and cost of bearing will be additional. I can’t afford it. I have two other BB head stock lathes so i decided to learn how to do this. thank you the help..

Attachments

• IMG_2093.jpeg
    IMG_2093.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2098.mov
    26.6 MB
  • IMG_2095.jpeg
    IMG_2095.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2099.jpeg
    IMG_2099.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2104.jpeg
    IMG_2104.jpeg
    171.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2105.jpeg
    IMG_2105.jpeg
    518.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2113.jpeg
    IMG_2113.jpeg
    236.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2118.jpeg
    IMG_2118.jpeg
    309 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Try and find a press. The hammer routine works on farm equipment, but precision bearings are less forgiving. Keep us posted on your progress. Love the pictures.
Hi, I am less familiar with presses used for this purpose , though I have been looking around in the Internet and many types pull up. Is it possible to share some options out there ?

You should be using a shop press- Harbor Freight sells them
Hammering on bearings is a sure way to ruin them
Hi, found this in harbor freight. Apart from this and benchwise would I need any other attachment to push the bearings out and install the bearings..

Attachments

• IMG_2095.jpeg
    IMG_2095.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 1
I would think it best to evaluate bearing condition while still installed, there’s lots of advice on here about how to go about it.

What’s happening that makes you want to remove them? Definitely the kind of situation where things could be made worse rather than better.

John

I would think it best to evaluate bearing condition while still installed, there’s lots of advice on here about how to go about it.

What’s happening that makes you want to remove them? Definitely the kind of situation where things could be made worse rather than better.

John
Hi John, this is a recent fixer upper Derbyshire I bought. Pulley won’t rotate beyond quarter rotation. Let me post a video to help understand the current problem. I don’t think it even has a pulley retention screw. Seller told me that the bearings are jumpy.. this one does not even rotate. So want to uninstall, inspect and replace if needed. I don’t want to buy very expensive equipment.. both harbor freight and Vevor has a few shop press for less than $150.

Yes, use a press for removing and installing bearings. Figure out what replacements will work and sources for them before proceeding if possible.

I definitely understand not wanting to spend a lot on tools but there are definitely times you can spend more fixing something up than it would cost to buy a good one in the first place.

Lathe headstock bearings can be fiddly of preload needs to be set, also there are different grades of bearings available. Depending on the precision required it may be difficult to make a repair that will be satisfactory.

Would like to see a video and pictures if possible.

John

Also, you can sometimes use a piece of all thread, washers and pipe to remove bearings. May even be better than a press in some situations.

That’s how I did the ones in my small Craftsman lathe.

John

John

Hi John, I have uploaded a video. Also edited the post to describe the problem better

Back