Devlieg microbore WORLD'S BEST BORING BARS

Karl_T

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
The recent discussion about Everede boring bars prompted this thread.

I just scored a set of Devlieg microbore bar bars for my second shop:

I have a HUGE selection of their bars for my NMTB40 mill. For decades (before huge CNC) many shops had a jig bore machine using these. They can go cheap on eBay. here's just a quick example. I did not spend time shopping for a great deal:

This system is FAR MORE RIGID than any other offer. The bars have replaceable grindable inserts and an accurate method to make bore adjustments, see this pic from their catalog:

Capture.JPG

Appreciate the post on feedback for these boring bars. I have several that I got in a large box of cat 50 mill holders. Wasn’t sure I was going to like them, but will have to try them out now, and be on the lookout for more inserts for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I drawers full of inserts and all the other assorted small parts. It is on my honey's do list to start selling these.

I'll second the DeVlieg bars . Used them for years . :encourage: One of DeVlieg's specs on their jig mills was max TIR of less than .0002 on the spindle at maximum extension . We had a wall of 6 machines . Not CNC but point to point milling .

I have never seen one until now. How large of a bore will they do?

I drawers full of inserts and all the other assorted small parts. It is on my honey's do list to start selling these.

Keep me in mind. I have several bars, but no extra inserts. I have not looked at them close enough to know what sizes I would need. I really need to get my big mill going first, before I really need to look at getting more inserts/ tooling, but always thinking about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never seen one until now. How large of a bore will they do?

My largest bar will do a 6" bore. Pretty sure larger ones are available. They also make ones for extremely deep bores. Got a few that are 12" long or deep.

I saw that the smallest machine weighs something like 14k and the largest over 40k. Also read that it was capable of holding .0005” over 6’.

Very accurate machines . The angle plates can weight over a ton each . Some of ours went to NASA , APL and the big one went up to Tool and Die Specialties . They had a dial-trol system that was the pre-cursor to nc , point to point milling .

Back