Difficulty While Making A Pulley

I dont get it. Can you please explain how to cut it? The pulley material is held in the lathe chuck. Where do I mount the end mill? Lathe tool post? Would it be rotating or just held in the tool post? I dont have bull nosed end mill but I can get one if the idea will work.

Thanks
Prasad

Could you use a 5mm bullnosed end mill and something like this?
John.

I like that idea John,
Is that a boring bar holder that's been given a sleeved shaft with the chuck at one end and run off a power drill or a separate motor just below the base of the picture in the middle of it ?

I dont get it. Can you please explain how to cut it? The pulley material is held in the lathe chuck. Where do I mount the end mill? Lathe tool post? Would it be rotating or just held in the tool post? I dont have bull nosed end mill but I can get one if the idea will work.

Thanks
Prasad
OK, I found the attachment that I had missed when I read your reply. Thats. I will try that next. I do have a Dremel attachment for the lathe. I will have to find a 5 mm round nose tool for Dremel if there is one.

Thanks
Prasad

I like that idea John,
Is that a boring bar holder that's been given a sleeved shaft with the chuck at one end and run off a power drill or a separate motor just below the base of the picture in the middle of it ?
That's about it. Power drill, corded or cordless. Not mine, got image off 'net. I think someone here has made something similar but I cannot find it.
John.

OK, I found the attachment that I had missed when I read your reply. Thats. I will try that next. I do have a Dremel attachment for the lathe. I will have to find a 5 mm round nose tool for Dremel if there is one.

Thanks
Prasad
Prasad
If you can't find a bullnosed end mill to fit your Dremel, you could try a 5mm round carbide burr with a 3mm shank. The good thing about these tools is that you don't have to be on center with them. You can cut from the top, bottom or anywhere in between.
John.

Could you use a 5mm bullnosed end mill and something like this?
John.

I don't know how important that particular profile is for the pulley but I probably would have done this in the dividing head with the mill. You would have no chatter, would not need to grind a special form tool and would have saved some time with head scratching. Failing that, you can make yourself a spring type tool holder like seen here:

http://www.ctemag.com/aa_pages/2012/120614-ShopOps.html

These were regularly used with form tools to prevent chatter and work an absolute treat. They are quite easy to make and are a godsend when making pulleys or convex / concave profiles that require large contact surfaces with the cutting tool.

Paul.

Don't plunge cut it. Just rough it to the depth you want with a pointed cutter. Then set your compound say 15 degrees and use a pointed sharp cutter and turn your toolpost to just cut with the tip of the cutter to the depth and width you want. I have done 100's this way. Then swing your compound 15 degrees to the other side and do that side the same way...Bob

281.JPG

For aluminum you might consider more top rake on the tool. Neutral rake has a tendency to tear instead of slice such soft metal. Also, edge must be very sharp. A honed edge would give best results.

When I made some pulleys out of aluminum I used a parting tool to rough cut the depth and with at the bottom of the pulley. Then is set the compound at 30* and cut the left side with a facing tool and then turned the compound the other way to 30* and cut with a left hand facing tool.

Bob

I don't know how slow your lathe goes but slow it down, a full size cut can be performed if you go slow enough. also once the chatter starts its difficult to remove. Ive had to turn the lathe by hand to get rid of the chatter, lots of oil. bill

Back