koenbro

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hello everyone, I am starting this thread to gather resources and ask questions about turning. I am about to put down the money for a new Eisen 1340 lathe. Have started to learn the basics of turning, by reading the SouthBend book by O'Brien and O'Brien. Have zero interest in grinding my own cutters, and would like insert tools, so have started reading @davidpbest 's superb book "Intro to Indexable Tooling."

Any advice to a novice? Anything about my choice of lathe I should know -- have not yet sent the money and have a last minute chance of walking back if a compelling reason emerges. By way of background, I looked at the usual hobbyist options (PM, etc) and have even toyed with buying a Hardinge from 1946 but as a complete and total noob, I cannot asses the wear and tear in an old lathe. So I have a strong preference to buying new Taiwanese, and not interested in old iron. Having bought a PM mill I am OK with them but am also ready to try smth different, hence looking at Eisen, which is probably similar in most regards, but slightly better value it seems. Initially wanted a 1324 but they are out so 1340 it is. Can not afford a 3-phase, thus will stay 220 V 1-ph.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Last edited:
Don't eschew learning to grind HSS tools.
They are inexpensive, can easily be ground in a million specialty shapes with an ordinary bench grinder, are forgiving of mistakes and a part of every manual machinist's tool kit.

Don't eschew learning to grind HSS tools.
They are inexpensive, can easily be ground in a million specialty shapes with an ordinary bench grinder, are forgiving of mistakes and a part of every manual machinist's tool kit.
+1
HSS takes less tool pressure to cut and you can take finer, more precise cuts with it. Great for rework.

Hello everyone, I am starting this thread to gather resources and ask questions about turning. I am about to put down the money for a new Eisen 1340 lathe. Have started to learn the basics of turning, by reading the SouthBend book by O'Brien and O'Brien. Have zero interest in grinding my own cutters, and would like insert tools, so have started reading @davidpbest 's superb book "Intro to Indexable Tooling."

Any advice to a novice? Anything about my choice of lathe I should know -- have not yet sent the money and have a last minute chance of walking back if a compelling reason emerges. By way of background, I looked at the usual hobbyist options (PM, etc) and have even toyed with buying a Hardinge from 1946 but as a complete and total noob, I cannot asses the wear and tear in an old lathe. So I have a strong preference to buying new Taiwanese, and not interested in old iron. Having bought a PM mill I am OK with them but am also ready to try smth different, hence looking at Eisen, which is probably similar in most regards, but slightly better value it seems. Initially wanted a 1324 but they are out so 1340 it is. Can not afford a 3-phase, thus will stay 220 V 1-ph.

Thanks in advance for all the help.
Looked up Eisen 1340 lathe. Your going to spend $8K and you can not afford a $200 VFD for 3ph. I, would rethink that. A lot of advantages.

Looked up Eisen 1340 lathe. Your going to spend $8K and you can not afford a $200 VFD for 3ph. I, would rethink that. A lot of advantages.
Or a rotary phase converter.
I built a 7 1/2 hp RPC for my first machine - my lathe - cause I got the idler motor for free.
I now have seven 3 phase machines and can run any of them off that initial $150 investment.

Yeah, I'd prefer a 3-ph, and my Avid CNC has a 3HP 3-ph spindle with a Delta VFD, so am vaguely familiar with the concept. Trouble is, the 1340 does not come in a 3-ph version. That would require a step up to the 1440E which is $11K. The 3-phase PM 1340 GT with the chucks, base, DRO is about the same price $10778.

So the difference is more like $3000 - this is what I meant.

Is there any 3-ph option around $8K?

Quite often, I see absolute novices looking at purchasing large lathes and I wonder why.

A large lathe is more expensive to purchase and to run. Tooling is more expensive. If you are grinding your own HSS tools, it takes a lot more work to grind a 5/8" tool than a 1/4" tool. Power requirements quickly exceed that available in most hobby workshops. A large lathe is more of a hazard to personal safety and property if/when something goes wrong. Novices are more prone to make mistakes that a seasoned machinist would avoid. Large lathes take up considerably more space than their smaller counterparts. Large lathes typically require engaging the services of a rigger at some considerable additional expense and shipping costs also tend to be expensive.

Very few lathe projects exceed a 3" x3" work envelope, more so for a novice machinist. There have been numerous examples of exquisite work accomplished on lathes with swings smaller than 12" and travel less than 30". Very few are turning truck axles or flywheels for heavy equipment.

My suggestion is start with a smaller lathe. Gain some experience using it . If/when you feel that you need or want a larger machine, sell the starter and get the larger machine then.

Definitely keep a place in your heart for grinding HSS. It's a more valuable skill than you realize- I dare say an essential one.
In fact, back when I was in high school you had to learn it before using the lathes- instructor insisted on it
Really not hard to pick it up and if you don't have a small bench grinder it's just one more reason to get one

You would need to request a quote(ask if there is a 10% discount if you call), I love my ACRA1440 TVS, I started with a 1228 PM, went up to a PM 1340GT that was still a little short for me, and I did not care for the Norton total waste oiling for the gear box that needed upgrades for better oil distribution.

Back