Does this seem like a rip off to you?

Ropata

Registered
Registered
My sheet metal guy is rather old and well past retirement. He's on his last legs the poor bugger and I'm only now thinking about how important he is to my small business. I do a lot of what's called builders flashing's over here which is basically a lot of sill, head, corner flashing's etc. All the long flashing's I need can be delivered by my roofing supplier but all the smaller technical stuff like cricket flashing's, soakers, chased etc I prefer to do myself.

I found this little straight pan break which is perfect for the space I have and my requirements but wholly **** the price gave me a fright. All this kind of thing is expensive over here but take a look at the comparison to a far more heavy duty machine.
ApplicationFrameHost_dV0KyU3w8B.pngApplicationFrameHost_kVrcGY5Kvf.pngApplicationFrameHost_u8ksxfjCrs.png
The heavy duty machine is here https://www.machineryhouse.co.nz/S264 for a few hundred More! The first one is worth 4245.82 USD/3278.69 Pound Sterling. The second heavy duty one is worth 4594.79 USD/3548.21 Pound sterling. Is this a product on a niche corner of the market? (I can't find the folder/slitter version anywhere else) Or am I just getting ripped off royally?

Last edited:
A quick search on ebay.co.uk brings up a Polish made folder, 2.1m wide, which will do 0.7mm steel, worldwide shipping, for £1100, shipping extra, compared to your quote which is nearly double that.

I'd look around a bit more and let the salesman know its a bit heavy on price.

A quick search on ebay.co.uk brings up a Polish made folder, 2.1m wide, which will do 0.7mm steel, worldwide shipping, for £1100, shipping extra, compared to your quote which is nearly double that.

Wow, yeah that seems like a way better build quality too, I've messaged the company. I understand that I'm completely isolated down here but If I can buy one unit and ship it here for close to half the price, what the hell is the local sellers margin?

I don't recognize those (cricket flashing's, soakers, chased etc) names but I've done a lot of exterior flashing with a coil stock brake similar to this plus a hand seamer. And a rolling cutter that rides on the brake.

Last edited:
I looked up those flashing names and SURE I've made those. Just never knew what the technical name for them was. Before retirement I was a independent building contractor. One man operation so I did it all!
Aaron

Last edited:
Perhaps your old guy will sell his equipment to you when he retires?
His folder is ancient (I've had to make a couple of parts for it myself) and his hydraulic guillotine is a 10 horse 3 ton monster that I'd never consider. I'm looking for an all in one solution as I have no need for anything that deals with heavier gauge stuff.

His folder is ancient (I've had to make a couple of parts for it myself) and his hydraulic guillotine is a 10 horse 3 ton monster that I'd never consider. I'm looking for an all in one solution as I have no need for anything that deals with heavier gauge stuff.
Grab some pictures of his equipment and post them if you can. Just for posterity and such.

Thanks for spotting this. The shipping and tax is more than the machine is worth but still came in 1600 cheaper plus It's 3.100 long. It's on it's way as we speak but will take 47 days to get here.

Excellent. I hope it lives up to expectations. Polish made machinery seems to have a good reputation (Bison chucks for example). Please let us know how it performs when it arrives!

Back