Dorian Recycle Cutter - Face Mill

Does anyone make 1/2" tool holder that will make use of those extra sides?

Does anyone make 1/2" tool holder that will make use of those extra sides?

SCBCR and SCKCR (and the left-handed version of each) are the often-used designations. For a 1/2” holder, the 1212 designation would be what you want, with the final portion indicating the insert size, so a SCKCR1212H09 would be a roughly 1/2” holder for the obtuse corners of CCMT09xx/CCGT09xx inserts (aka 32.5x size).

A couple of videos using it to hog 6061 with my little mill/drill. I forget what the DOC was, this was in 2016. I use this thing quite often & I love it. I barely use my 2.5" 45° facemill anymore.

(May want to turn your volume down first)

View attachment 371399

View attachment 371400

Sorry if the videos won't load or buffer for anyone. I did not edit them before uploading. Here's a screenshot.
View attachment 371401
Wow! Very nice. What's your typical DOC/RPM/feed rate on aluminum and/or steel?

Regards,
Terry

What's your typical DOC/RPM/feed rate on aluminum and/or steel?
I have no idea. :big grin: These days I just go by feel. I'm just a hobbyist so efficiency & time is not that important to me. And I'm too lazy to look up stuff anymore. I'll only look up stuff if I'm working with materials I'm not used to & even then I just use it as a starting point & adjust by feel.

Reactions: tjb
I have no idea. :big grin: These days I just go by feel. I'm just a hobbyist so efficiency & time is not that important to me. And I'm too lazy to look up stuff anymore. I'll only look up stuff if I'm working with materials I'm not used to & even then I just use it as a starting point & adjust by feel.
Great answer! That's what I've begun doing as well, and I'm coming to the awareness that I've probably been way too cautious on all three. I started milling at higher RPM, taking deeper cuts and feeding slightly faster on aluminum and have been pleasantly surprised at how much better the finish is.

Regards

Back