Double Duty Micrometer Stop Project

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
Here's my project from today. It's a micrometer stop added to an indicator holder. The micrometer stop can be
used on either side of the carriage as it can read either from the left or right. The micrometer was made with a 7/16
x 20 thread and the brass dial has 50 marks in one circumference so each mark gives a .001 movement.IMG_0616.JPG IMG_0619.JPG

Very, very, VERY nice workmanship and a clever design too !!! My shop-made carriage stop has provisions for a travel indicator but it can't be used concurrently with the stop. Wish I would have thought of that :(

Last edited:
Wow! that is great. I can see one of those in my future. Any chance you gonna share the drawing? :grin:

I would gladly share a drawing if I had one. The micrometer itself was patterned after a YouTtube video
by Tom of "Tom's Techniques". He really has some great stuff on his website and YouTube as well.
Hats off to Tom and his fine work!

Yup, need one of those.....on each lathe.
Beautifully made; thanks for sharing.
-brino

update: and great clear photos too!

I really like that.. how did you do the markings around the brass dial? does the main framework have a "zero" marking on it?

I used a rotary table with a small 4 jaw chuck mounted to it. Then used the X axis on the mill to scribe
each mark. The zero mark is .35 inches wide, the 5 mark is .30 and the marks between are .25 inches
long. I didn't put a mark on the main frame as the front corner looked to be a good enough reference.
Maybe I will add a mark on the frame later....My rotary table is 90 to 1 so needed 7.2 degrees of
table rotation for each mark. That came out to be 1.8 rotations on the crank handle. If I remember
correctly, the dividing plate used had 54 holes to come out even.

Back