• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
[4]

Drawing Involute Gears

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Thumper

Iron
Registered Member
I need to create an 2d AutoCAD drawing of a gear for a project I am working on.
I found a great website that will generate the gear profile - http://geargenerator.com/
but the output is a SVG file. How do I get that into AutoCAD?
I searched the web and found that a program called Inkscape and convert it but it doesn't work. The SVG file has errors.

Does anyone have a different way of creating gear drawings? Lisp routines? Other generators that output DXF?

The gear I want to draw is 108 T 10.16 DP 20 deg PA. The drawing will be used to waterjet cut the gear.

Thanks

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
The are a number of utilities available online that will convert SVG files to DXF . Google SVG to DXF.

For gear profiles, I usually go to sites like McMaster Carr or SDP-SI.com. They have CAD models of the gears they sell in a variety of formats, including DXF and DWG in 2D and IGES, SLDPRT, and STEP for 3D. The files that I have used were technically correct and therefore suitable for use in CAM programs.

4gsr

HM Chief Foreman
Staff member
Look for one called Forest Moon Productions-GearDXF. It will create a DXF file which you import into AutoCAD or any other 2D cad program. Then do a save as into dwg file.
Ken

Thumper

Iron
Registered Member
Thank you very much, Ken.
That utility is perfect. Just what I was looking for.
I spent about 5 hrs downloading and testing various programs. All either too complicated or they didn't work.

4gsr

HM Chief Foreman
Staff member
I'm glad you like it, too. I did the same thing trying out different ones's. This one was so simple, I couldn't believe. And I needed it to work in Draftsight.

Tony Wells

Former Vice President
Staff member
Administrator
Any recommendations for SolidWorks? A customer of mine and I collaborate on some downhole tool products, and we both use SW, but I am way behind the learning curve and just use it to mod his work, mostly. Is there a native involute draw function? Forgive the slightly OT inquiry.

Thumper

Iron
Registered Member
Look for one called Forest Moon Productions-GearDXF. It will create a DXF file which you import into AutoCAD or any other 2D cad program. Then do a save as into dwg file.
Ken
It's too bad Forest Moon Productions doesn't have a similar utility for sprockets.
I did find one called sprocketeer but haven't tried it yet.

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Any recommendations for SolidWorks? A customer of my and I collaborate on some downhole tool products, and we both use SW, but I am way behind the learning curve and just use it to mod his work, mostly. Is there a native involute draw function? Forgive the slightly OT inquiry.
As I recall, SolidWorks had the a gear generation function in its Toolbox but the generated gears were not true involute gears. (disclaimer: This is up to SolidWorks 2012. It may have changed since then.)

I believe that McMaster Carr SW model downloads are technically correct. I have used their construction geometry to create custom configurations for various parts although not for a gear as yet.

BRIAN

Global Moderator
Staff member
Thank you Ken just what I need, it works a treat so simple.
Brian.

wudwlkr

Iron
Registered Member
I use a program called Gearotic 2.0. It can create just about any type of gear you want and will generate .dxf files for placing into other programs or it can directly create the G-code to mill or 3d print your gear. Written by Art Fenerty who wrote the original Mach 3 software. One time nominal licensing fee and you have access to all future upgrades and Art is constantly improving and adding to the program. www.gearotic.com

gatz

Swarf
Registered Member
Noob here, but this topic caught my eye.

Many years ago, we were in need of a program to make some involute gears. At the time we only had ACAD2000
After some consultation with a university prof, he wrote up a program that would output an X-Y data file.
The cost was not cheap, but nothing was available "free" at the time.
I had to modify it a little because he hadn't employed a method to ensure that each tooth profile was in the correct angular position.
(his program used a routine that built each profile from where the last one left off.....which introduced accumulated error)
Once that obstacle was out of the way and the program rewritten in Basic, the output was made into a *dxf file that could be used in ACAD.
Worked great
Later on, it was converted over to Visual Basic. I sure learned alot about dealing with radians & programming in Basic/VB.
Now I see there's all kinds of gear generating programs out there.
gatz

Last edited:

Steve Peterson

Iron
Registered Member
You can use the free version of eMachineShop to generate gear profiles and save them as dxf files. It is not quite as intuitive as geargenerator.com, but it appears to be a workable solution.

Steve

[6]
[5] [7]