VN Drilling & Boring Head

BROCKWOOD

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Drilling & Boring Head info from the 1966 catalog.

00 B&D HEAD 1942 CATALOG.jpg

It's a shame Van Norman depended on 'tribal knowledge' for so much of it's operation & maintenance. Must've been passed along through their dealer network - but never written down. I would really love to see 1 of these being installed & operated!

If your Van Norman Mill uses NMTB50 tool holders or perhaps you have the 10" Vertical Swivel Dividing Head, then you're probably aware of the sleeve type draw tube & adapter that accepts the no2 collets & end mill holders. My no24 mill & DH came with them. Some of the collets I've bought included them & more recently another dividing head & mill set came to me. So, there I was making sure which of all these adapters precisely I needed to keep & what goes with what. Somehow, I had 1 more adapter than draw tube. Now this adapter became a mystery. On closer examination - well, this is what I found.

NMTB50 DRIVE SLEEVE ON LEFT.jpg

The key from the adapter on the left is huge by comparison. I looked further & the face end has no bevel. Strange; given I had tried every one of these on the B / D Attachment & none fit. So, I checked to see if it would fit upside down & it did right up to the last 3/16ths or so.

Now, with a little clean up all becomes even clearer!

NMTB50 DRIVE SLEEVE INSTALLED 01.jpg

NMTB50 DRIVE SLEEVE INSTALLED 02.jpg

Back