Dro Choice?

MattM

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I'm thinking on installing a two axis DRO on my Monarch 10EE. I see them priced anywhere between $2,000.00 and $300.00. I want something accurate and reliable but don't want to spend more than necessary. I am, after all, only an amateur/amateur hobby machinist.

What should I be looking for? Price range?

I'm at the same point as you as far as researching DROs. I' found a lot of info on this site http://www.dropros.com/. I don't have any knowledge of the value or quality of their products (or of any brand), just learned a lot there.

my $300 xyz is working fine. I would definitely like to put a 2 axis on my lathe 2 axis may be cheaper mine has been on for a year now. don't expect any seller help though like dropros or the great teaching tech videos. you have to decide how much that is worth.

The 10EE is worthy of a good quality DRO.

I have the DRO PROS magnetic scales and EL400 display on my PM-1440GT. I'm extremely pleased with it.

I've been really happy with the Rational Precision Instrument, WE6800E-3 I put on my Mill. Enough that, I'm considering adding the 2 axis version to my lathe. It's Chinese made, but scales and Head unit appear to be well made. Accuracy has not be an issue. Everything made relying on the DRO output has mic'd out spot on. I ordered mine from a seller in HK. If I remember correctly I paid in the $400 range.

If I was operating a commercial machine shop that needed to get things done on time and for sure, I would not hesitate to buy one of the top American made brands. However, I am a hobby machinist, and I am and have been studying DROs to purchase one or three myself. Here is my take on it from my studies, YMMV:

The price of Chinese DROs are about a tenth the price of top quality USA made DROs if bought direct. They work, with occasional failures just like other Chinese machinist products. They are accurate. The manuals suck big time, but good information is available online for free if you are willing to look for it.

DRO Pros sells pretty much the same Chinese products that others sell, but with a good and easy to read manual, and they give good after purchase support, on the phone and in English. They honor their warranty. They charge double or triple (or more) the cost of buying direct from China and dealing with it yourself. What is your time worth?

Buying Chinese units direct from China using Aliexpress is by far the cheapest way to go. You can get a complete three axis DRO with glass scales in your choice of scale lengths, in small increments, .0002" resolution, using Paypal and delivered by Fedex air freight in about a week for ~$260. It will have a crappy manual, you might have a failure or other problem that you will need to work through long distance with a language problem under the warranty. If it fails down the line, you will need to buy or repair whatever fails, reasonably cheaply, and getting cheaper. You can buy about ten Chinese DROs for the price of one Accurite USA made DRO, and they will have about the same accuracy.

For me, a retired pure hobby-machinist, with no deadlines and no customers, the choice is a no-brainer. The money left over will buy lots of other fun stuff. Again, YMMV.

I have used DRO Pros for both the lathe and mill.
The magnetic scales are straight forward to install and very stable.
One of the best investments I made in the shop.

If I was operating a commercial machine shop that needed to get things done on time and for sure, I would not hesitate to buy one of the top American made brands. However, I am a hobby machinist, and I am and have been studying DROs to purchase one or three myself. Here is my take on it from my studies, YMMV:

The price of Chinese DROs are about a tenth the price of top quality USA made DROs if bought direct. They work, with occasional failures just like other Chinese machinist products. They are accurate. The manuals suck big time, but good information is available online for free if you are willing to look for it.

DRO Pros sells pretty much the same Chinese products that others sell, but with a good and easy to read manual, and they give good after purchase support, on the phone and in English. They honor their warranty. They charge double or triple (or more) the cost of buying direct from China and dealing with it yourself. What is your time worth?

Buying Chinese units direct from China using Aliexpress is by far the cheapest way to go. You can get a complete three axis DRO with glass scales in your choice of scale lengths, in small increments, .0002" resolution, using Paypal and delivered by Fedex air freight in about a week for ~$260. It will have a crappy manual, you might have a failure or other problem that you will need to work through long distance with a language problem under the warranty. If it fails down the line, you will need to buy or repair whatever fails, reasonably cheaply, and getting cheaper. You can buy about ten Chinese DROs for the price of one Accurite USA made DRO, and they will have about the same accuracy.

For me, a retired pure hobby-machinist, with no deadlines and no customers, the choice is a no-brainer. The money left over will buy lots of other fun stuff. Again, YMMV.

Which is better glass or magnetic? DRO-Pros seem to think magnetic is the way to go.

Neither are better to use. Magnetic scales are smaller in cross section, less fragile (in some ways), and more expensive. Learn about them, and decide if it is worth the extra money -- for YOU. Eventually the price will come down, and we will probably see only magnetic scales, unless and until something newer comes along and supersedes them. We only rent the technology, it is always changing...

While I agree with Bob on the rental tech, currently I believe you will have less issues with operating the magnetic scales.

Back