Electrical In Front Of A Vfd, Between The Vfd And Motor?

No magnetic switches between the VFD and motor. A three position switch is fine, just don't switch it while it is running or even turning.
I have my VFD hanging on a hook next to whatever machine I am using. I use twist lock connectors so I won't blow it. No enclosure for 10 years now, no problems.

Bernie

Hmmm but isn't that what the Forward/Reverse switch is doing? Its a 3 position switch, forward, stop, reverse. I'm fine with no contactor there I'm just curious.

I'm a little late getting back to the party. Well that seem like that is exactly what the switch is doing, unconventional at best. I have never seen that done before, and it goes against every VFD manufacture's recommendations that I have ever read.

Here is a simple schematic for the power contactor circuit. If you don't have a neutral on your plug, this could be wired across the 240V line with a 240V coil relay. The Automation Direct relay part number shown is a 120V coil.

Schmatic.jpg

DISCLAIMER: I have never switched the power between a VFD and motor, not wanting to brick a $250 VFD. So it is possible that the VFD won't fault on FLA if you start it that way (maybe there is a time delay). The enemy of transistors is heat; current passing through the transistor generates heat. However, short durations starting surge might not heat it up enough to fry a transistor. I don't know, and I am not curious enough to risk $250 to find out.

I agree, maybe some day I'll have a spare to try that with. I'm curious as to what would happen.

My Danfoss control panel is located next to the DRO. It was on the head but I don't like electronics getting abused like that.

Bill I'm replacing that Danfoss 10k pot. Its rather pathetic imo, it only has about 180 degrees of rotation, zero resistance to turning, and the knob is tiny. I found trying to adjust the speed pretty annoying. I'm not going multi-turn or anything but at least a single turn 270 degrees. And ideally I would put that control panel back on the main unit vs having it remote mounted out front.

I agree, maybe some day I'll have a spare to try that with. I'm curious as to what would happen.
It should just fault on exceeding FLA limits, not fry a transistor. But since it is just as easy to hook up the VFD the right way (instead of the wrong way), it never really seemed worth experimenting to find out,

Back