Emery Cloth, Sandpaper

I've found a much better sand paper or Emory cloth, it's perforated like screen wire and it cuts faster and last longer . A lot of guys I know who use it will never go back to plain paper or cloth. The perforations let the chip dust fall thru no build up of grinding dust even wet it's super and lasts too. Industry recycles has it on eBay.

I have used that also. Like you say, it's great for removing a lot of material fast.

Is it sort of like what we used to call a "cheese file"...the Stanley surform? Used them for body work.
\
David

If it's what I'm imagining, it's more like window screen mesh that has been coated with fine abrasive dust. I've seen it more specifically in sizes to fit drywall sanding brooms.

-frank

I've found a much better sand paper or Emory cloth, it's perforated like screen wire and it cuts faster and last longer . A lot of guys I know who use it will never go back to plain paper or cloth. The perforations let the chip dust fall thru no build up of grinding dust even wet it's super and lasts too. Industry recycles has it on eBay.
my father used tat type of sanding matrix for removing oxides from copper pipe before sweating fittings on.
the stuff we used was like coarse mesh coated with ALO2 abrasives, worked fast and the abrasive and backing lasted it seemed forever

Abrasive cloths can be made to last forever, like buffing wheels you can buy a few dozen cheap ones that will hold an abrasive just as well as an expensive one, but the wheel will wear down to nothing relatively quickly... or you can use the expensive option and have a wheel that will not wear down for years and you may have to charge it a half dozen times. It's almost never about how long the abrasive will last but how good you can hold onto it. Unless of course if you are cutting something that is very close to the hardness of your abrasive, in which case your abrasive will wear down to finer and finer grits.

Newbies : Don't mistake "shiny" for accurate. If you need to take off a tenth
to fit, use a USA lathe file. (would some one like to write a note on who sells
these today? )BLJHB.

I also use coarse mesh strip abrasive that I received from a commercial master plumber. They use it to clean & prep copper tubing for soldering. The stuff is great for ripping rust off of shafting in the lathe.

Back