Enco with grizzly change gears?

HoboMachinist77

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
So I bought a 96' Enco 12x36 110-2079 lathe with no metric change gears. It only has 40t, 80t, 40t...which according to the manual would be for standard pitch threads...that's all well and good.

My question is this. I'm trying to confirm if the grizzly g4003 or g4003g metric change gears would work as they are practically the same lathe with some electrical differences and other odd and ends.

Here I will post a screen shot of the enco manual and a shot of the grizzly g4003 manual.
The cleaner newer image is grizzly.

Any insight would help. I'd like the ability to do both thread styles.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221105-122201.png
    Screenshot_20221105-122201.png
    243.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20221105-122136.png
    Screenshot_20221105-122136.png
    320.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20221030-121305.png
    Screenshot_20221030-121305.png
    428 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20221021_161722537.jpg
    IMG_20221021_161722537.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20221021_161728447.jpg
    IMG_20221021_161728447.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 28
they both use metric modulus gears, either 1.0 or 1.5.
if the machines use the same pitch, the gears may be interchangeable
i'm not sure if the ID bore is the same diameter between machines

they both use metric modulus gears, either 1.0 or 1.5.
if the machines use the same pitch, the gears may be interchangeable
i'm not sure if the ID bore is the same diameter between machines
Oh.. I did not know that. Thanks! Depending of the material they are made from I could tig weld a bushing in if need be..or bore out. Hopefully they are the same.

Oh.. I did not know that. Thanks! Depending of the material they are made from I could tig weld a bushing in if need be..or bore out. Hopefully they are the same.
you certainly could fab some kind of bushing, should the need arise.
you may only need a close tolerance OD and some red loctite to retain the bushing.
a tig weld would make it permanent, that's for sure

That's a great idea. P4003945 is the 36 tooth change gear.

It's only $16.75 and in stock.

+1 on not welding a gear. Given the lack of size reference, I would order one gear from Grizzly to verify pitch. In this case, a mod 1,5 looks be the more likely. If it matches, go for it. . .

I use a smaller lathe (G-1550) and have swapped gears around from several machines. The gears for a G-4000 are modulus 1.0. As are most any Asian made machines of that class made in the last 30+ odd years. In some cases where a machine came from Mainland China, I have found the gears to have a rough bore that needs reaming or sanding. The bore of the G-4000 was 12 mm, a fuzz under 1/2 inch. The Mod 1.5 gears will have a larger bore that may well need adjustment as well. Reaming or sanding is the more likely fix, metric sizes are usually a fuzz smaller than thier imperial equivilents. When a bushing is required, a bronze(or brass) slip in is preferable.

I also have an Atlas built Craftsman 12 X 36 (101.27440) that has 16 DP gears. The 16 DP gears are close to Mod 1.5 on Asian machines. The big difference is the Atlas gears are 14-1/2 degree pressure angle while the metric gears are 20 degree PA. The different PAs will not smoothly mesh. Another reason to buy one cheap gear to check first.

For metric threading, a 127 tooth Mod 1.5 gear will be rather large. And will require a 120 tooth gear alongside it. There are "almost" combinations that will give a close enough fit (0.01% or better) for fasteners. They are not true metric, but so close they can be used for short threads. The point here is the gear combinations are much smaller and will possibly fit with the cover closed.

The threading train does not have a lot of torque. It is mostly for timing, not power transmission. Plastic/3D printed gears are often used here. I have a 127 tooth plastic gear that I cut mostly to prove a contraption I built. Not being used much, it has stood up well enough. But in 16 DP, it is well over 6 inches diameter. It won't fit below the gear cover.

I think, maybe, that I have a full set of gears for a standard asian 12x36 lathe. They were part of a large lot of bits'n'pieces I got from a gent who was selling an old neighbour's tools for him. There was a steady rest from a 12x36 lathe in the lot and the gears came in one of those cute little red tool boxes. If you can get me some measurements (bore, key, pitch) I can see if these ones are the same. There are a whole bunch of them.

Grizzly is local to me. Their headquarters and showroom is a few miles away.

They've been real good in the past about letting me go in and pulla a cover, check fit, etc.

I went in a couple years ago and pulled the chip pan out of their display model G0709 to take a bunch of measurements. I after measuring, I went ahead and bought one, then modified my Birmingham lathe to use it.

I'd offer to have you mail me a gear so I could run by Grizzly and check for fit, but I suspect postage both ways for it would cost you more than just ordering a new one.

I think, maybe, that I have a full set of gears for a standard asian 12x36 lathe. They were part of a large lot of bits'n'pieces I got from a gent who was selling an old neighbour's tools for him. There was a steady rest from a 12x36 lathe in the lot and the gears came in one of those cute little red tool boxes. If you can get me some measurements (bore, key, pitch) I can see if these ones are the same. There are a whole bunch of them.
I will Monday. It's still at work. That would be good to know. Thanks a lot
Grizzly is local to me. Their headquarters and showroom is a few miles away.

They've been real good in the past about letting me go in and pulla a cover, check fit, etc.

I went in a couple years ago and pulled the chip pan out of their display model G0709 to take a bunch of measurements. I after measuring, I went ahead and bought one, then modified my Birmingham lathe to use it.

I'd offer to have you mail me a gear so I could run by Grizzly and check for fit, but I suspect postage both ways for it would cost you more than just ordering a new one.
That's a very nice offer there! But yeah that's a good point. There isn't much to loose just buying one. I think I was mostly concerned about the tooth counts being different being an issue rather than getting them to fit. Also that's pretty awesome they let you do that.

Back