End Mill Sharpening???

A lathe is kind of overkill, but it will work. Check Harold Hall's wonderful machinist pages for some tips. There is a plan for a simple end sharpener. You will need to set two compound angles, the primary relief and the dish to the center. He has a clever way of setting the primary relief just by using the height of approach towards a 6" grinder wheel. The indexing is done with a square index block. You will need one for each size of end mill unless you have a collet block.

IMG_0140.JPG IMG_0141.JPG
Here are a couple of pictures of the tool grinder I built using the plans from Australia. If you are interested you can look them up at www.machineryplans.com == Jack

Now, just let me say. I was a machinist 25 years ago. It was the first (for real) job I had in the workforce. I did machine work for 5 years. Lathes, mills, shapers (believe it or not) and grinders. That being said, a lot of you on here are way above me. For sharpening end mills, I need something idiot proof. I'm looking for a "drill doctor" for end mills. :chunky: Not that I don't appreciate your replies, I do, believe me I appreciate the help. However, I don't want to spend hundreds and hundreds and more. Building something is far beyond my skill set at this point and probably far beyond my machine's capability. Last week I figured out how to turn my mill on (it was a silly switch). I'm not ready to build anything quite yet. :( Although, post the plans in PDF if you can. I'll save them and maybe do it in the future. At worst, you help everyone else out. It's a win, win! :)

[/paste:font]
Seems like it would work for the ends quite well but I don't have a grinder and I don't see how you would do flutes unless I

Click to view larger image
Have one to sell?
Sell now
PHASE II Indexable End Mill Sharpening Fixture - Model: 235-002

| Add to watch list

Seller information
traverstoolco (4474 ) aboutme-small.gif
99.5% Positive feedback

Follow this seller
Visit store:
s.gif TRAVERS TOOL
See other items

Item condition:
New

Quantity:
10 available / 20 sold

Price:
US $65.99
Buy It Now

Add to cart

58 watching
Add to watch list

Add to collection

20 sold
More than 66% sold
30-day returns

Shipping:
$15.41 Standard Shipping | See details

Item location:
Duncan, South Carolina, United States

Ships to:
United States and many other countries | See details

Delivery:

Estimated on or before Thu. Feb. 18 to 61080
[/paste:font]

Click to view larger image
Have one to sell?
Sell now

| Add to watch list

Seller information
traverstoolco (4474 ) aboutme-small.gif
99.5% Positive feedback

Follow this seller
Visit store:
s.gif TRAVERS TOOL
See other items

Item condition:
New

Quantity:
10 available / 20 sold

Price:
US $65.99
Buy It Now

Add to cart

58 watching
Add to watch list

Add to collection

20 sold
More than 66% sold
30-day returns

Shipping:
$15.41 Standard Shipping | See details

Item location:
Duncan, South Carolina, United States

Ships to:
United States and many other countries | See details

Delivery:

Estimated on or before Thu. Feb. 18 to 61080
Seems like it would work for the ends quite well but I don't have a grinder and I don't see how you would do flutes unless I'm missing something?

aboutme-small.gif

s.gif

aboutme-small.gif

s.gif

aboutme-small.gif

s.gif

aboutme-small.gif

s.gif

aboutme-small.gif

s.gif

aboutme-small.gif

s.gif

aboutme-small.gif

s.gif

aboutme-small.gif

s.gif

aboutme-small.gif

s.gif

aboutme-small.gif

s.gif

aboutme-small.gif

s.gif

Now, just let me say. I was a machinist 25 years ago. It was the first (for real) job I had in the workforce. I did machine work for 5 years. Lathes, mills, shapers (believe it or not) and grinders. That being said, a lot of you on here are way above me. For sharpening end mills, I need something idiot proof. I'm looking for a "drill doctor" for end mills. :chunky: Not that I don't appreciate your replies, I do, believe me I appreciate the help. However, I don't want to spend hundreds and hundreds and more. Building something is far beyond my skill set at this point and probably far beyond my machine's capability. Last week I figured out how to turn my mill on (it was a silly switch). I'm not ready to build anything quite yet. :( Although, post the plans in PDF if you can. I'll save them and maybe do it in the future. At worst, you help everyone else out. It's a win, win! :)
CRAP! IT WAS 30 YEARS AGO! GOD I'M OLD!!!!

That fixture requires a surface grinder.

However, Here is a guy that didn't let that stop him:

We had a rig like Eddyde show that was used on a cylindrical grinder. The shop I run is getting rid of a cylindrical grinder, I think it will be surplussed at auction by the State. I got it running but being old technology it was taking up too much floor space.

I'll bet you could use a toolpost grinder.

Proper endmill sharpening is done with a cup wheel, not the OD of a regular wheel. I suppose a crude sharpening could be done the way shown in the video. But I would not expect the endmill to stay sharp as long as if done the right way.

where are you located ?? there are many cutter places around that resharpen these !

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Back