Engraving Numbers On A Dial

old toolmaker

Registered
Registered
I have a 360 degree dial I have turned from 303 stainless for my Quorn Tool Grinder that is in need of number engraving. I have made several others using a CNC mill but I sold the mill when I retired. I am thinking of stamping the numbers using steel number stamps. I am not sure that that stamping will work well on 303 stainless as it does not knurl well. Any suggestions?

Dick

a couple thoughts,
if you have a dividing head, you may be able to hold the part between centers and grind or purchase a bit to suit the graduation
it could be done on a vertical mill.

it's possible even on a lathe if you had or made some kind of indexing plate.
you'd use the carriage to cut the index lines

I don't have any issues with engraving the lines as I have a headstock dividing attachment for my lathe that I just recently finished building. I know how to stamp the numbers also but i was concerened with stamping 303 stainless. I suppose I could try a sample and see how it goes. I am looking also for alternative methods of numbering.

Dick

You might have luck by contacting a local trophy shop. They can engrave the numbers on your dial. I have no idea about the cost, but the amount of time involved in building the Quorn, it would be a shame to have ugly or crooked numbers on your dial.

You might have luck by contacting a local trophy shop. They can engrave the numbers on your dial. I have no idea about the cost, but the amount of time involved in building the Quorn, it would be a shame to have ugly or crooked numbers on your dial.
You are right about all my time invested in the Quorn and that is why I want to do it right. I have seen some nice dials done with metal stamps, but they were done in a jig that holds the dial and also aligns the number stamp. I am not sure what to do yet but I do know some excellent engravers in town who do this kind of work. I just didn't want to spend the money to have it done by a professional and besides then it is not all my work. So far I have done every last piece myself and have done a first rate job. I'd kind of like to keep it that way and that is why I asked the question here in case I ran across a good idea.

Dick

Electric etching may be the ticket for this application. Look it up on YouTube

Sent from somwhere in east Texas by Jake!

Electric etching may be the ticket for this application. Look it up on YouTube

Sent from somwhere in east Texas by Jake!
I checked it out and it is an option for me, although I would need to farm it out to someone with the equipment and expertise. I have quite a bit of time invested in the piece so far and would not entrust this job to just anyone. It has a circular T slot going all around the periphery that was not easy to produce.

Dick

Back