Evapo-Rust works!

Mike, thanks for the tip on the Walmart price. That is an attractive price and a 5 gallon bucket would be great to have a removable basket in. You drop the parts in and pull them easily that way.

The Evapo-Rust active ingredient is a chelating agent. From their description:
How does Evapo-Rust Work?
Unlike some products that use acids to remove rust, Evapo-Rust uses a chemical process called chelation to selectively remove rust. Chelation is a process where a large synthetic molecule forms a bond with metals and holds them in a solution. The active ingredient in Evapo-Rust bonds to rust while leaving surrounding materials unharmed.

So it only removes the rust and does not damage the cutting edges on a reamer for example. If they were already so corroded that the cutting edges were damaged, obviously that is damage done.

For me, this is a standard for the shop and it is relatively safe and non-toxic.

Thanks Mike, not sure that basket in the smaller pail is big enough. What do you think? Here's what I was dipping recently.
IMG_20170620_120157.jpg

Probably not for long items.
I use the same type of plastic container you have for soaking too.
Works good so long as the Evaporust covers all of it.

I picked up over a 200 taps at an auction once and just dumped the whole box in overnight and some were pretty nasty.
Good as new the next night when I pulled them out. Put them into another container that I drilled drain holes in the bottom and rinsed them off under water. Then poured some Rustlick over them and let that drain into another container. Sorted them into separate bins and I've had them now for over a year and no more rust has showed up.

There was no grease on them.
If it does have grease on it you will want to get it off as Evaporust will not work thru grease or oils of any kind.

I just recently did a long skinny thing and I used a pipe with a cap on the end for the container. You may find you need to be creative in what you use for containers for soaking. Mike is right on, you need to follow the instructions and you'll have a perfect part every time.

Same here. Bought 10 gallons for $47 OTD. Figure I would have it if I need to do something big.

I often wonder why people rave about Evaporust. Do they pay for positive reviews? For what it costs it should work and make you a 5 course meal. Before you spend the big bucks you might try a gallon of white vinegar. It will set you back @ a buck. You use it the same as you would the Evaporust. My results have been nearly identical.

Randy

Back