EVER SEE ONE OF THESE?????

riversidedan

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
went to start a car I bought awhile ago turned the key and it wouldnt turn as if it was locked, so thiers this little black box with a gadget attached when you push a little botton a tiny light comes on, so I tried that and the key still wouldnt turn on.........that little box under the dash is called a ........... electrolock

this damn thing makes me crazy cuzz I just started the car last week!!!!!!

Attachments

• 100_3903.JPG
    100_3903.JPG
    457.7 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
You can just unplug the box that is under the dash. It takes a minute.
We use to pre-install these on every car we sold at the dealership. If the customer refused to buy the “security system”, I or designate would unplug and remove the hardware to be installed in another vehicle.
Ours was marketed as “the safety key” ?? Gosh darn salesman.

Just follow the wires back to the playing cards size module, unplug everything and Bob’s your uncle :)

It's an add on security system. It's spliced into a wire "somewhere". I've removed a couple, but never opened one up. From the outside, and from the removed and reconnected wires, I "believe" (which means I don't know), but I believe that it's just a jumper between pins, so that you can disable the ignition of a vehicle. There could be, but I'm of the belief that there's no "smarts" built into it. Just random jumpers from pin to pin. Or who knows, they're cheaply built enough with rust prone materials for the pins, it's probably from China, maybe they're all the same jumpers.

Not sure what you're driving, but if it has a physical key, then the turning of that key won't be blocked electrically. The shifter, good odds that it is, but you should be able to turn a physical key without electronic interlocks. Have you checked for the steering wheel being bound against the steering lock pin? What kind of car is it?

You can just unplug the box that is under the dash. It takes a minute.
We use to pre-install these on every car we sold at the dealership. If the customer refused to buy the “security system”, I or designate would unplug and remove the hardware to be installed in another vehicle.
Ours was marketed as “the safety key” ?? Gosh darn salesman.

Just follow the wires back to the playing cards size module, unplug everything and Bob’s your uncle :)
thanx for the reply!!!!!! unplug the box , which box do you mean ??? the one thats wired to the car or the one that has the botton that plugs into the one that wired????

also I think the wires that come from the box you said to unplug go under the dash somewhere but havent checked

Last edited:
It's an add on security system. It's spliced into a wire "somewhere". I've removed a couple, but never opened one up. From the outside, and from the removed and reconnected wires, I "believe" (which means I don't know), but I believe that it's just a jumper between pins, so that you can disable the ignition of a vehicle. There could be, but I'm of the belief that there's no "smarts" built into it. Just random jumpers from pin to pin. Or who knows, they're cheaply built enough with rust prone materials for the pins, it's probably from China, maybe they're all the same jumpers.

Not sure what you're driving, but if it has a physical key, then the turning of that key won't be blocked electrically. The shifter, good odds that it is, but you should be able to turn a physical key without electronic interlocks. Have you checked for the steering wheel being bound against the steering lock pin? What kind of car is it?
no, the steering wheel isnt blocked its a 94 geometro

thanx for the reply!!!!!! unplug the box , which box do you mean ??? the one thats wired to the car or the one that has the botton that plugs into the one that wired????

also I think the wires that come from the box you said to unplug go under the dash somewhere but havent checked
Exactly, follow the wires from the female plug your male device (as shown) goes into. Follow the wires back to a device.
This module us not a factory component. It is probably zip tied or taped to other wires or components.
You will see a gang plug of multi color wires that go into the box. No wire cutting, just unplug and remove your key receptacle and the aftermarket security device.
The car will now operate as designed from the factory. Believe me, this is just a cheap piece of crap that is easily disconnected.

Yeah, you are correct.
We saw plenty of similar devices on trade-ins. We just removed them as shown.

Exactly, follow the wires from the female plug your male device (as shown) goes into. Follow the wires back to a device.
This module us not a factory component. It is probably zip tied or taped to other wires or components.
You will see a gang plug of multi color wires that go into the box. No wire cutting, just unplug and remove your key receptacle and the aftermarket security device.
The car will now operate as designed from the factory. Believe me, this is just a cheap piece of crap that is easily disconnected.
dammit hate to bug ya, I tried unplugging the wire bundle that you said unplugs from the box under the dash and it wont come out! remove the key recepticle???

are you talking about the wires that come out of the box thats mounted under the dash that go up in the steering column??? if so where do they go?????

Last edited:
ok lets forget that for now, the thing you see in the picture, when its plugged in and I push the botton the tiny light comes on I try to start the car but the key wont turn on, if the tiny light comes on and the bottons pushed why wont the key work??

Does your steering wheel have the factory locking steering wheel? If you turn off the key with the wheels in a turn there is enough pressure to keep the key cylinder from turning, the steering wheel wants to return to neutral. Add pressure on the way the wheels are turned, going back in the turned direction, the cylinder will release. If you already tried this....disregard :)

Back