Fall 2015 Central Florida Machinists Get-together

The rain finally quit down here witch means all the work I put off needs to be done this weekend.
Take a bunch of pictures so I will know what I missed.
Y'all have a good time.
***G***

Great time Shad. I will definitely look into melting aluminum. I will be reworking my CNC after the pistol is done. Maybe you'd like to see how it works.

Larry

Had a great time today. Got to share some knowledge, learned a bit, and had fun. I set up the foundry and both Larry and Rick got to pour aluminum, although it was rather anti-climactic as we were just pigging aluminum scrap into ingots. Working in IT, I get old hard drives by the large box-full, and they get turned into nice, handy ingots. Lots of dross, though. I still have better than 200 lbs of hard drives to strip and make into ingots, then the casting will begin. I have a handful of items I need to make patterns for, and plenty of raw stock that needs cast. Time consuming, but it's recycling, vs landfill of paying a company to haul them off. And, I can cast whatever sizes I need.

While running a few errands this afternoon, I grabbed a one gallon gas can and stopped at the station for a gallon of diesel fuel. I have an oil-fired furnace burner, and I think it's about time I got it going so I can start melting and pouring cast iron. Aluminum is dandy, handy, and cheap, but there are a few things I'd like to make out of cast iron. Should be fun to get that thing working, and I'll try not to burn my shop down. ;)

I'll be having another shop day in the not too-distant future, which will probably consist of casting parts. All those who are interest are more than welcome to attend!

Hey Shad,had a fun and informative time wish I could have stayed longer and you can count me in on the next one you have.

Come on guys..................Pictures..Pictures please.
***G***

Sorry Gator, I didn't have my phone on me, and I've always been bad about taking pictures. Not used to documenting what I'm doing, as I've never really been part of a group, nor being used to others being interested in what I'm working on.
:(
But even with no pics, it did happen, and it was fun.

Next time ya need to come up and spend awhile :) See it first-hand, and take home some rough-cast aluminum stock. I'll knock up some patterns in the next week or two for some aluminum stock I need. 3.5x3.5" square, about 8" long, some large round stock, some bar stock, and whatnot. As Mike and Larry can attest to, I got plenty of scrap aluminum to melt, and once the furnace gets up to temperature it goes pretty quick! I do need to make up another 200 lbs or so of greensand, though, and knock together some more flasks. Really need to build a molding bench, but I'm not sure where in the shop I could put it.

For right now, it's back outside to finish mucking out the chicken coop and make sure the girls have fresh food & water.

I'm glad you guys had a good time. And I know what you mean about living in the moment and forgetting to take some pictures.
Let me know when you start on cast iron casting as I have a cast iron stove that needs a new foot. I can send you one of the good feet and a old frying pan to melt down.
I'v been trying to get all the members on the west coast together for a few years now. It's good to see it happening.
.......Keep it up brother......
*************JADIP**********************G****************cartangrysj1.gif**********************

Back