Feedback on buying Logan 7500 lathe

wachuko

Professor of Pending Projects
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Yeah, still going over ads while I wait for my PM1236... some old USA machine is becoming more and more appealing...

Would it be complex/ill-advice/crazy for a newbie to use a Logan 7500 lathe as the first real lathe? There is one locally for sale for a good price (I think)... Ad mentions: "Quick change tool post, collet changer, steady rest and some various accessories; 220 volt, 3 phase; phase converter included. All serious offers considered."

The Logan 7500 is a 14"x40" turret and collect lathe... The size is misleading. That turret setup takes a lot of realty... Spindle to face of turret is 25-1/2"... if I can manage to install a chuck that will take it down to less than 20"... where the PM1236, that I have on order, is 36" between centers and I am guessing, some 27-29" with the 6" chuck or 5C collet chuck in place...

Logan 7500 Lathe - 1.jpg

Logan 7500 Lathe - 2.jpg

LOGAN-LATHE-CHUCKING-MACHINE-MODEL-7500-w-specs.jpg

LOGAN-LATHE-CHUCKING-MACHINE-MODEL-7500-w-specs-2.jpg

I joined the Yahoo group for Logan to gather more information... https://groups.io/g/Lathe-List

There is really very little information, that I can find, of regular folks/newbies using this kind of lathe for hobby use... That might be a clue and answer to my question...

Last edited:
Wouldn’t that only be good for jobs not requiring a center ?

Wouldn’t that only be good for jobs not requiring a center ?
I dont know.jpg

My initial internal conversation was"

"Cool! It comes with a collect chuck closer setup"
"Wait, what the heck is a turret??"
"Is Logan still in business?" "Ah look... a Yahoo group and the owner of Logan chimes in... "
"Man, if I can convert this to using a chuck and regular toolpost... " mind wonders off...

But back to your comment... thinking about it... you have a point... the turret is there and there is no additional sliding tool post/cross slide... so does not look like there is a way on providing a center support while working the part...

Yeah... does not look like something that is going to work for me...

Moving on...

Turret machines are likely to have a lot of wear as well. It might be a good project for someone who already has the pieces to make it usable in a home shop but without a toolpost and tailstock there’s not much utility for a hobbyist.

I have never used a turret lathe, but it seems to me you could put a center into one of the turret positions. Can’t you?

I have never used a turret lathe, but it seems to me you could put a center into one of the turret positions. Can’t you?
Yes. But without an additional cross slide with a toolpost, nothing to hold the tool to work the part…

Ah ha, yes, of course. I was confused since I actually have a turret for the Takisawa that replaces the tailstock, with the carriage assembly remaining and operating as usual. A center would be easy to add in a turret position, seems like the best of both worlds.

Back