Fellows Gear Shaper

DiscoDan

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
As some of you may have heard me mentioned before, I am a volunteer at the Tuckahoe Steam and Gas Association lineshaft machine shop museum, in Easton, Maryland. We are lucky enough to have a fellow's number six gear shaper that was donated by the Baltimore Streetcar Museum quite a few years ago. It can cut up to a 36-in gear.

After some mechanical restoration work a few years ago we had the shaper up and running and cut a few sample gears. Here's a picture of a Delrin gear that we cut. This was done using electric motor power. We now have the shaper hooked up to the line shaft and will be running it during the upcoming show July 6th through the 9th. Come out and see us!

Attachments

• 0629231454.jpg
    0629231454.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 0610231655.jpg
    0610231655.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 37
  • 0822201025.jpg
    0822201025.jpg
    484.5 KB · Views: 36
I will definitely be stopping out for the show !!!
Will be interesting to see that machine running .
I’m thinking that was the machine you’ll were lining the pulleys up for the Saturday I stopped by to pick up the Pratt & Whitney rotary table

It could have been the pulleys for the Fellows or it could be the pulleys for our Lucas horizontal boring mill, which are both run from the same counter shaft. See you at the show!

Last edited:
As some of you may have heard me mentioned before, I am a volunteer at the Tuckahoe Steam and Gas Association lineshaft machine shop museum, in Easton, Maryland. We are lucky enough to have a fellow's number six gear shaper that was donated by the Baltimore Streetcar Museum quite a few years ago. It can cut up to a 36-in gear.

After some mechanical restoration work a few years ago we had the shaper up and running and cut a few sample gears. Here's a picture of a Delrin gear that we cut. This was done using electric motor power. We now have the shaper hooked up to the line shaft and will be running it during the upcoming show July 6th through the 9th. Come out and see us!
Sure would like to see a short vid of this cool old machine at work. I’m sure when you see it going it makes sense but static pics don’t do it justice.

Back