FINALLY COMPLETED SOUTH BEND 9A

adamnlazybum

Registered
Registered
Alright, wow, its been 2 whole years since i bought this thing. I wanted to put this thing back together a long time ago, but i got lazy and had other things i ended up doing. In fact, I nearly cleaned and painted everything very early after my purchase. Had removed grease, gunk, chips etc. But then i got sidetracked for no reason..... Probably overwhelmed with stuff.

Its a pretty cruddy paint job but I plan on repainting it to the original color in the future after i scrape the ways.

As of now, the dial indicator reads very minimal runout on the spindle, and little head movement after upgrading the shim at the back of the headstock. There was a huge issue that i ran into. The spindle holders that grip the spindle (forgot their name) had some scratches which i assume were due to the spindle having some hard to see raised metal, i gave the spindle a light filing to catch any burrs and the spindle went from hard to spin to easily moving.

Forgot to mention that the reason I ended up expediting the lathe was because I bought a bridgeport series 1 mill that i am taking apart to clean the gunk and chips before using, and when i was putting back the x and y bearings, it was impossible to put them back. It was very hard to remove them in the first place. Youtube videos show them sliding out with little effort, so the lathe was perfect for removing some material which i have already done, and now the brass nuts slide right in. Its beautiful.

I paid $750 for this lathe, came with a steady rest, two dayton 1.5hp motors, one 220v three phase, and another 115v single phase (these are pricey!). I dont know, but i got a good deal here, the guy seemed really scared and hesitant to turn it on when i asked him if he could show me it running. Probably because it was using a 1.5hp motor on a plastic table, which had it shaking like a trampoline LOL. Thats probably why he wanted it gone and let it go for cheap. He also had this weird backplate with some very weak L brackets acting as a chuck. No wonder he wanted it gone. The 3 jaw chuck that came with it was in pretty terrible condition, I opened that baby right up, cleaned it, oiled it and it works like a charm as you can see in the video. Also bought a dayton 3/4 hp + and a 115v rated VFD for it.

The Bridgeport was $2200, and came with nearly 2k in tooling. :D

The machines were obviously not perfect to begin with, so I have to put a lot of work and effort into getting these guys going. As you all know, I wish i could pay little and have a machine running immediately, but hey, at least im broke and have the tools!

Also, im not a machinist, im new to the hobby and just love having tools, im going to invest in a shaper next.

Anyway heres the final product.

semi finished sb9.jpg

Here is the Bridgeport Series 1 Mill that pushed me to finish the lathe.

automill.jpghomemill.jpg

The scrapings on this mill are great. I will still probably need to scrape it due to some uneven wear, and wear in general. Probably depending on how much play there is. Who knows.

mill y bed scrapings all.jpgzaxismill.jpg

The scrapings on this mill are great. I will still probably need to scrape it due to some uneven wear, and wear in general. Probably depending on how much play there is. Who knows.
Nice mill, but don't rush into scraping it, you'll ruin the machine if you tried to scrape in hard chromed ways. They wear 10x longer than flame hardened semisteel and the treatment was a big premium to the original buyer of the mill. Leave that part alone, just clean it up and run it!

Alright, wow, its been 2 whole years since i bought this thing. I wanted to put this thing back together a long time ago, but i got lazy and had other things i ended up doing. In fact, I nearly cleaned and painted everything very early after my purchase. Had removed grease, gunk, chips etc. But then i got sidetracked for no reason..... Probably overwhelmed with stuff.

Its a pretty cruddy paint job but I plan on repainting it to the original color in the future after i scrape the ways.

As of now, the dial indicator reads very minimal runout on the spindle, and little head movement after upgrading the shim at the back of the headstock. There was a huge issue that i ran into. The spindle holders that grip the spindle (forgot their name) had some scratches which i assume were due to the spindle having some hard to see raised metal, i gave the spindle a light filing to catch any burrs and the spindle went from hard to spin to easily moving.

Forgot to mention that the reason I ended up expediting the lathe was because I bought a bridgeport series 1 mill that i am taking apart to clean the gunk and chips before using, and when i was putting back the x and y bearings, it was impossible to put them back. It was very hard to remove them in the first place. Youtube videos show them sliding out with little effort, so the lathe was perfect for removing some material which i have already done, and now the brass nuts slide right in. Its beautiful.

I paid $750 for this lathe, came with a steady rest, two dayton 1.5hp motors, one 220v three phase, and another 115v single phase (these are pricey!). I dont know, but i got a good deal here, the guy seemed really scared and hesitant to turn it on when i asked him if he could show me it running. Probably because it was using a 1.5hp motor on a plastic table, which had it shaking like a trampoline LOL. Thats probably why he wanted it gone and let it go for cheap. He also had this weird backplate with some very weak L brackets acting as a chuck. No wonder he wanted it gone. The 3 jaw chuck that came with it was in pretty terrible condition, I opened that baby right up, cleaned it, oiled it and it works like a charm as you can see in the video. Also bought a dayton 3/4 hp + and a 115v rated VFD for it.

The Bridgeport was $2200, and came with nearly 2k in tooling. :D

The machines were obviously not perfect to begin with, so I have to put a lot of work and effort into getting these guys going. As you all know, I wish i could pay little and have a machine running immediately, but hey, at least im broke and have the tools!

Also, im not a machinist, im new to the hobby and just love having tools, im going to invest in a shaper next.

Anyway heres the final product.

View attachment 472239

View attachment 472242View attachment 472243

View attachment 472244View attachment 472245
If need a steady rest PM me I have one . Also have large diel ball bearing cross slide screw too.

Dave

That paint job hurts my eyes!
haha its temporary, I wouldve had a terrible paintjob had I painted it original, I dont have the equipment at the moment to give it a good professional job but once im settled into a good home, i will take the time to do so.

Nice mill, but don't rush into scraping it, you'll ruin the machine if you tried to scrape in hard chromed ways. They wear 10x longer than flame hardened semisteel and the treatment was a big premium to the original buyer of the mill. Leave that part alone, just clean it up and run it!
Thanks for that info. I know that the chrome ways will wear out one day, wasnt sure how to go about scraping them, or if i should have even touched them, but you just answered that for me.

Under the Y axis saddle its worn, should i scrape that plus the x axis?
Interesting paint job on the SB
:D

Thanks, i know its terrible, but it doesnt look to bad to me at least. I do plan on painting it in the original style as soon as i settle into a more stable situation. I need to scrape. Perfect time to paint.

Back