Fine feed on LMS mill

larry5061

Registered
Registered
Just getting around so setting up my mill and was wiping things down and checking the functions of the different movements, I found that the fine feed on the quill to be very stiff, not real smooth. I understand there not being as much leverage as the coarse feed, just not sure what to think.
Anyone else seen this or is it me being too critical?

It can be replaced with an air spring kit that LMS sells. Yup, that fine feed with the supplied spring is awful...

Just getting around so setting up my mill and was wiping things down and checking the functions of the different movements, I found that the fine feed on the quill to be very stiff, not real smooth. I understand there not being as much leverage as the coarse feed, just not sure what to think.
Anyone else seen this or is it me being too critical?
Not being too critical at all, in my opinion. I've come to realize that the LBS mill, as capable as it is, must have a design flaw related the the Z axis. Besides being stiff, hard to move with the fine feed, when plunging with an endmill, or drilling, when I break through, the bit drops a lot, due to the excessive backlash in that axis. Don't seem to notice it much when not going through the work piece, but as a drill rig, mine needs work.

I'm waiting until LMS gets stock replenished on the air shock kit, then I'll tear in to it to see what can be done to improve the issue. This problem isn't so serious that I can't work around it, more like a huge wart on the nose of a pretty woman, distracting and annoying on such an otherwise great machine.

Make sure you've got plenty of lube on the sides and screws. Mine was pretty dry, although that made it pretty easy to clean. Come to think of it, maybe I should have done a better job of cleaning?! Nah, I was to eager to start making chips fly! :roflmao:

My fine down feed is a bit stiff as well. My current mini mill is my second that I have owned and both have felt the same. I have seen a mod that puts a bigger wheel with a handle that may help although I have not tried it myself. As for the air spring, it is worth every penny LMS sells them for. I noticed an immediate improvement in the rigidity of the head and no more sudden dropping of the head when drilling or plunge cutting. Hope this helps a bit.

LMS has the air spring shock in stock again, mine is one the way. I'm hoping that it'll make the slick little mill even better!

I've got a real bull mill. Slightly larger but with the same problem. Try loosening the bracket at the rear of the shaft by the worm gear. Ended up with an .005" shim in there and now its very smooth.

I don't know if this is the best way to handle the lash in the z-axis feed, someone with more experience can comment.

I use the z-axis gib lock to put some drag on the power head, or lock it completely. I also use an inexpensive capacitive scale with a digital readout on the z-axis. Otherwise the lash and sticky feed makes the reading on the fine feed highly uncertain.

The air spring probably works great too.

Walt

Installed air spring on my new LMS mill yesterday. Much better. Fine feed still has WAY too much slop in it, so I'll be taking that apart to see what can be done.

Back