Finish problems on my lathe

Found this thread by accident. I am having exactly the same problem with a 12 x 37 sold by Smithy. Almost identical to the Encos and Grizzlys except the electrics are slightly different. Turns out that when you Google the problem it seems to be somewhat common. Haven't found a cure yet but I am suspecting something in the carriage as well. I have a 13 yr old harbor Freight 12 x 37 some time back and had the same issue. I seem to get better results using the leadscrew rather than the turning driveshaft though I still notice it a little. I will take a look at the worm gear tomorrow to see what mine looks like.

Steve in Central TX

I've got a Jet 12x36 and some of the finish problems were due to the wipers on the ways.
They lifted the saddle up unless a heavy load was on them.
Had to file the mounting holes to raise them as well as the wiping lips to let the saddle sit down on the ways.

I also noticed that as the saddle approached either end of the bed the effort to move it increased.
This was because the drive screws were set so low they pulled the saddle down hard and caused binding.

Third problem found was that the saddle was sitting only on the V way.
I could tap the leg over the flat way and hear it bounce.
Have been scraping it in for solid contact and to increase the contact area.

Glad you found the loose bolt and I'll be checking for that as well.

Spent a little time with mine yesterday. Found the motor belt tension adjustment was installed incorrectly. Reassembled yesterday and tightened down the belts; made a real difference. The motor drive pulley may be out of round as well and I plant to remove it and check it out on my other lathe in the near future.

Steve in Central TX

I once found a similar but more subtle pattern on my Grizzly 1031, traced it to the cheapy*** drive belts that came on the lathe, one of the belts was joined wrong and had a bump where the ends were joined. Bought Goodyear replacements, problem went away.

I've replaced the belts on my lathe and vibration was clearly reduced.
Have yet to do it on the mill/drill but have determined they cause vibration there as well.
Someone once said the china belts are made by braiding Yak hair in a loop and coating it with rubber.

Back