[Read!] First Time Machine Buyers - READ This FIRST!

vtcnc

Admin
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
[Working Group Comment] - This Post is a Read Me for First Time Machine Buyers who are looking for guidance from experience members. I'm hoping that I've captured the general concerns voiced in the Suggested Sticky thread and in this sub-forum. [end of comment]

[Draft]

If you are looking for advice or guidance on buying a machine for the first time, read on! There are a lot of experienced hobby machinists here that have walked in your shoes - if you have questions, they have answers!

Guidance for posting in this forum.

1. Post your thread in the appropriate sub-forum, i.e., Lathe, Mill, Surface Grinder, etc. This will help members focus on areas of interest and expertise.
  2. Be as descriptive as possible.The more specific you are, the more helpful the answers will be. If you are vague in your answers, that is OK! "I don't know" is a VERY acceptable answer. We have all been there and we are here to listen and help.
    1. Quickest way to start - Write up a short post answering the following questions:
      1. What is your experience related to the topic at hand? Newbie, tinkerer, hobbyist, retired machinist, entrepreneur?
      2. What is your upper limit on budget? Tooling can be as much as 2x the used machine.
      3. What do you want to machine? Describe materials, longest length, largest diameter, etc.
      4. Where do you intend to place this machine and how will you get it in there? Basement, shed, heated shop? What kind of access do you have to this space?
      5. What electrical power source is available to you? Please list voltage and amperage.
      6. What is your intention with the new (to you) machine? Is it to do a project rebuild, start using old iron or import machine, or get a turnkey cnc machine in house and running?
    2. Do a deep dive- Answer the attached questionnaire based on the type of machine you are interested in. Some members will reply to you with a link to the appropriate questionnaire. Share your results with members here to get answers.
      1. Link to My First Lathe
      2. Link to My First Milling Machine
  3. Practice Good Forum Etiquette - Sometimes members come back to a thread weeks later to follow up only to learn the thread is dead or the OP has since moved onto another topic. Please indicate whether the topic is Open or Closed - that helps experienced members know how to prioritize their efforts. This is helpful for new members who can look at closed threads and not waste their time and effort asking questions in a dead thread.

Last edited:
Back