Fitting A Qctp

Ron, it might be a good idea to not mess with anything until you get your BXA in so you can measure the new tool post stud that comes with it. My Emco Super 11CD has a hole like yours, not a T-slot, and the stud OD was larger than the hole in the top slide. I had to machine the Aloris stud down and used a socket head cap screw in a bushing to lock the tool post stud in position. Works great! The Aloris stud was soft so I suspect it is just plain 12L14. Maybe you might want to make a new stud to custom fit your application?

To all who have replied and offered advice thank you. I finally took courage, supported the topslide casting underneath and with a club hammer gave the top of the post a gentle tap. Thought I could detect movement so used a heavier tap and out it popped. Hooray!!!!!!!

Now have to wait for my Phase II QCTP to arrive from USA so I can measure and make a nice new accurate post. I measured the existing post and the top shaft is considerably less than 16mm or 5/8" . Not sure whether the Phase II will be metric or imperial. I know that the Aloris is 5/8" but who knows with Chinese imports. Unfortunately shipping USA to AU is neither fast or cheap. Just have to wait.
Ron

Hi Will
Thanks for the info. I have purchased a Phase II BXA from USA and it is transit. Whether I can bore it out to fit will have to wait until it arrives. My inclination is still to make a "normal" 5/8 post. I still wish for a Dorian which I will purchase when funds are available and the Dorian will then just drop on when I get it .

Still finding my way round my new lathe, cleaning and adjusting. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/new-sieg-runmaster-330x1000-lathe.35198/

More photos to follow.
Ron

Ron, if it was me I would leave that post bolt where it is, and simply bore out the base of the holder block to fit. Remember once you remove that bolt you can't do any machining and you also can't guarantee it will fit back exactly as it was.

I have a Wabeco D6000E

With mine it had a straight stud but the stud for the 4 post was too short and too thin. So I had to make a custom fastener making a rod bored out with inside threads at the bottom to go on my stud and a top to put the handle on to clamp it down. Mushroom top with long stem matching proper outside diameter and threads inside.

I didn't want to tap out the stud and bore a larger hole in the expensive lathe parts and wanted to be able to go back to stock and save my tooling if I sold it.

Also on mine the AXA set didn't allow the tool to go down far enough to center the tool because the bottom of the holder would touch the top of the mounting plate. Had to mill 1/8 inch off the bottom of the holders. They are still plenty strong and let me use this and not an OXA which are weaker all around.

On the original question I would bore out the bottom of the $150 value QCTP body. Take it apart and you have a block of steel to mount in the 4 jaw for a nice farewell project for your 4 post.. Then consider whether you need to make a stud extension like I had to. Also if the stud is long enough be sure it is thick enough all the way down to hold the QCTP from rocking. It wouldn't be secure enough to just be held at the bottom with the bolt on top clamping down. If not just make a custom tube adapter on the lathe to slide over the bolt to make it fit firm all the way up.

I have a Wabeco D6000E

With mine it had a straight stud but the stud for the 4 post was too short and too thin. So I had to make a custom fastener making a rod bored out with inside threads at the bottom to go on my stud and a top to put the handle on to clamp it down. Mushroom top with long stem matching proper outside diameter and threads inside.

I didn't want to tap out the stud and bore a larger hole in the expensive lathe parts and wanted to be able to go back to stock and save my tooling if I sold it.

Also on mine the AXA set didn't allow the tool to go down far enough to center the tool because the bottom of the holder would touch the top of the mounting plate. Had to mill 1/8 inch off the bottom of the holders. They are still plenty strong and let me use this and not an OXA which are weaker all around.

On the original question I would bore out the bottom of the $150 value QCTP body. Take it apart and you have a block of steel to mount in the 4 jaw for a nice farewell project for your 4 post.. Then consider whether you need to make a stud extension like I had to. Also if the stud is long enough be sure it is thick enough all the way down to hold the QCTP from rocking. It wouldn't be secure enough to just be held at the bottom with the bolt on top clamping down. If not just make a custom tube adapter on the lathe to slide over the bolt to make it fit firm all the way up.

That's what I'm going to do, bore out the bottom and make a sleeve for the top, that way I retain the original post bolt.

Ron, since you already popped the post out it would be easiest and most precise to just find a nice nut with threads that match the post that comes with your new QCTP. Get the nut and with your lathe turn it to the right size and height to fit right there then screw in the proper post and you are ready to go.

To turn down the nut I would buy a bolt to fit and get three nuts screwed tight on that bolt and mount it in your lathe. Then turn the end nut to fit perfectly. Turn a shoulder the thickness of the base to get more threads but be flush with the base.

Then a little blue Loctite and done.

Back