Five minute Cast Iron Camera Stabilizer

epanzella

Active User
Registered
My fireworks pictures have always been slightly blurry due to camera shake even when on a tripod due to the sloooow shutter speed. I use <BULB> setting. To get some stability for a display I was going to last nite I faced off a 5 pound piece of cast iron and threaded it 1/4x20 on both sides so it can attach between my camera and the tripod. The extra mass worked like a charm. These are the best fireworks photos I've gotten to date.

Attachments

• DSC_2484.JPG
    DSC_2484.JPG
    235.6 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC_2437.JPG
    DSC_2437.JPG
    714.3 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC_2447.JPG
    DSC_2447.JPG
    483.7 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC_2482.JPG
    DSC_2482.JPG
    343 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC_2476.JPG
    DSC_2476.JPG
    610.6 KB · Views: 46
Fantastic! Many years ago Gitzo made heavy tripods that worked much the same, but IIRC they were purchased by Bogen and then lightened up to the point of being just like everything else.

GsT

I have an old 50-year-old wooden tripod that was made in Germany. Rock solid, great for taking pictures. Camera tripods and lathes are the same in this case. The more solid and mass, the better are the results.

What camera still has a "bulb" setting? My grandfathers 3A folding Kodak does, but it is perhaps 100 years old, or more.

What camera still has a "bulb" setting? My grandfathers 3A folding Kodak does, but it is perhaps 100 years old, or more.
As far as I know all cameras have a bulb setting. On bulb the lens stays open as long as you hold the shutter button depressed. My camera is a Nikon digital single lens reflex D3000. Not exactly an antique.

As far as I know all cameras have a bulb setting. On bulb the lens stays open as long as you hold the shutter button depressed. My camera is a Nikon digital single lens reflex D3000. Not exactly an antique.
So, I assume that obsolete terminology has been adhered to --- My old camera still has the mechanism for bulb actuation, although, the bulb and tubing are long gone, and I can no longer buy the #127 film rolls for it. I still have the combination back to use glass plates negatives.

It's not obsolete tech as cameras will always need the bulb setting for time exposures. They still call it BULB as a throw back to the air operated shutter release of your old camera.

Back