[How do I?] Fix/make a bushing

rcbondo

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
This is my first post. The picture is for an unlubricated bushing from an old walk-behind 8hp snow blower. The bushing sits in the frame and supports a 5/8" steel shaft with an attached pulley and v-belt that propels the drive wheels. You can see how badly the shaft wore the bushing. My first attempt at a replacement was a failure because I used brass hex stock and drilled it with a drill press. I recently bought an Atlas 10" lathe so I am returning to this part as a first project.

Snow blower bushing.jpg

I can't find bronze hex stock so I'm thinking about boring the ID of the old part to 11/16" with the lathe, gluing/pressing a sleeve bearing for a 1/2" shaft, then boring to fit the 5/8" shaft. Is this a good plan or are there better solutions? What type of sleeve bearing should I be looking for? For example, I've found an oil-embedded bronze sleeve bearing on McMaster-Carr but there are many different material options. I would welcome any suggestions. Thanks.

Not enough meet to do that plan.

UNLUBRiCATED. That's the problem. Unless this turns super high RPM, make another using brass and do it right, then add a grease zirk.

My .02, many other ways to skin this cat.

My guess is that it took many years to wear to that point so a replacement will probably outlive you, unless you are a teenager :)
If there is enough material to put a sleeve you could certainly try, personally I would probably re-make the part using hex stock
Or, how about using hex steel stock with a round brass or bronze insert? A third approach would be to buy a thick-walled bronze bushing from someone like Bunting bushings and machine the outer diameter to make a hex- if you have milling capability
-Mark

As Mark said , bore it and re-sleeve it . Add a zirk fitting and a few grooves on the ID when done . Either brass or Oilite would fit the bill .

Edit . Just saw where you are from . Jackson Hole and the Tetons have to be the prettiest place I've ever seen . We spent 5 weeks out there in 96 and traveled most of the area . My wife's family are in Cheyanne . Heck , I'll send you the needed material if you want , but you have to take the whole snowblower with it ! :grin:

I wonder if the manufacture designed it to be turned along the hex as it got worn ? The opposite side still has a chanfer shown

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the replies. The bushing is not located in a place where it could be easily lubricated without disassembling a great deal. How would you add a jerk to 7/8" hex stock with a 5/8" bore? I don't have milling capabilities, just a lathe and drill press. I only recently researched the properties of brass vs bronze. I thought my first failure was because I used brass. Isn't bronze preferred for bearings and bushings? I would prefer to bore bronze hex stock but I couldn't find any on McMaster-Carr but there were plenty of bronze sleeve options so I thought that might be a solution. What type of bronze hex stock should I be looking for?

Edit . Just saw where you are from . Jackson Hole and the Tetons have to be the prettiest place I've ever seen . We spent 5 weeks out there in 96 and traveled most of the area . My wife's family are in Cheyanne . Heck , I'll send you the needed material if you want , but you have to take the whole snowblower with it ! :grin:
My wife's family is also from Cheyenne. We live 35 miles out of Jackson in big snow country. Amazingly, I used the walk-behind blower for three winters when I was young, dumb, and poor. Since then I've use a 5-foot blower on a diesel tractor but the walk-behind is a good backup and comes in handy around the house. The part I need to make isn't available anymore, so to make the part, I bought a lathe that costs more than a replacement snow blower!

The relatives were / are quite big to this day in Cheyanne although JD just passed on . He was the Frontier Days Vet for years and years . My niece was Lady in Waiting then Miss Frontier Days also . Check out J D Fox obit . I hope before my time is over , we get to do this trip again . Jackson Lake Lodge was no less than spectacular . :cool:

Back