1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We want to wish everyone a healthy, happy New Year, full of joy and success. God bless you, and thank you for supporting The Hobby-Machinist.

Dismiss Notice

[Metrology] Flatness Of Granite Counter Top

Discussion in 'METROLOGY - MEASURE, SETUP & FIT' started by CPCaballero, Oct 8, 2016.

1. CPCaballero

CPCaballero United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Flower Mound
    State:
    Texas
    Does anyone know how flat the typical granite counter top is and its suitability for use as a surface plate? We will have a few cutouts from a kitchen remodel job and I'm looking for uses for them.

Subwayrocket likes this.
  2. Subwayrocket

Subwayrocket United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Scranton/Wilkes-Barre
    State:
    Pennsylvania
    i'd be interested to know . Have a buddy that owns a granite business. They let me pick thru dumpsters of beautiful cut offs ...some large . Nice for making water features with ...never thought of a surface plate though .

3. Bob Korves

Bob Korves H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Sacramento
    State:
    California
    Unknown quantity. Will vary from one to the next. Surface plates need to be held to very tight tolerances and counter tops do not, so they are not. If you want a surface plate, import ones are being sold at really cheap prices. Look for a free shipping deal, and pull the plug. You will likely get a good one, though quality control of Chinese surface plates, like their other stuff, is often somewhat lacking. Granite counter tops would likely make a great lapping plate for non critical work, as will plate glass.

4. PaPa_Jack

PaPa_Jack United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Hodges
    State:
    South Carolina
    I have wondered the same thing. How many of the members on this forum actually have any need to be that accurate? I can't recall seeing or reading anything about any project that required that level of accuracy. Some of the gunsmithing people might benefit from .0001 accuracy, but I am not sure it even matters that much there.

savarin and Ulma Doctor like this.
  5. JimDawson

JimDawson Global Moderator Staff Member Director

City:
    Sandy
    State:
    Oregon
    Bob is correct.........But, for non-critical work they would proabaly be OK. I suspect you are not doing work for NASA:grin:

Ulma Doctor and Subwayrocket like this.
  6. T Bredehoft

T Bredehoft Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    St. Louisville
    State:
    Ohio
    If cost is minimal, get three and lap them all together. eventually they will all be flat, but you need three. No guarantees about how long they'd stay good, either.

Ulma Doctor likes this.
  7. Ulma Doctor

Ulma Doctor Infinitely Curious H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Tracy
    State:
    California
    :sherlock::nail biter:

ok ladies and gentleman
    i have a 6x6 piece of counter top grade rock that seems to be polished up pretty good at my shop,
    i'd be willing to give it a rub on my recently recalibrated plate and see the result.
    something tells me beforehand that the counter top will blue up pretty good, but then i have been wrong before!:grin:
    pictures to come!!!

tweinke, brino and JimDawson like this.
  8. Ulma Doctor

Ulma Doctor Infinitely Curious H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Tracy
    State:
    California
    here is the test:
    calibrated surface plate to Grade A, cannode blue ink , test @72*F
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/collection/E8Tpv

before:
    2016-10-08.jpg

after:
    2016-10-08.jpg

end result: FAIL

the marble counter top is not flat, touching in only 4 corners and hollow in the middle >.001"

your results may vary,
    use only as directed, yadda yadda yadda :p

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    Bob Korves, mikey, 4gsr and 2 others like this.
  9. 4gsr

4gsr Global Moderator Staff Member H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Victoria
    State:
    Texas
    Debur the corners and try again!:grin: Just kidding..:cool 2:

Be interested how many impressions it takes to get about 70% coverage from scraping.

Ulma Doctor likes this.
  10. 4gsr

City:
    Victoria
    State:
    Texas
    I wonder how much stress relieving the rock sees when it is sawn up into smaller square pieces as you have shown?

Ulma Doctor likes this.
  11. tweinke

tweinke United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Fairmont
    State:
    Minnesota
    And now we know the rest of the story, lol

Ulma Doctor likes this.
  12. Tony Wells

Tony Wells United States Vice President Staff Member Administrator

City:
    Tyler
    State:
    Texas
    Since it does show contact only at the corners, I'd suspect it does have something to do with being unconstrained now that it is sawed out. If this is a sacrificial piece, grind back the corners a bit and see if the contact spot grows, or disappears. I'm sure it could be lapped flat, but as thin as it is I wouldn't count on it being stable.

I watch the installers put in Italian marble on the nurse stations at the hospital, and it comes in pretty good size slabs, all pretty much cut to print. Where the piece has to be longer than they can practically handle, they shim and play with it until it is very close, and epoxy it all up, then polish to blend. It takes a long time, but the seams are invisible. There is some talent involved. You cannot even see a flaw by eye from a low angle. They have it down really well. But marble isn't as hard as granite. I wonder about the abrasive they use. I'll have to ask or get some next time we do a remodel.

Ulma Doctor likes this.
  13. Bob Korves

Bob Korves H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Sacramento
    State:
    California
    One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions, and perhaps a million hobby-machinist opinions... Thanks, Mike!

JimDawson and Ulma Doctor like this.
  14. Uglydog

Uglydog United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Dayton
    State:
    Minnesota
    Will make a really classy bench top! Easy to wipe down.
    Much easier to maintain than the diamond plate to which I default, although rounds stuff seldom roll off the diamond plate.

Daryl
    MN

ddickey and JimDawson like this.
  15. PaPa_Jack

PaPa_Jack United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Hodges
    State:
    South Carolina
    I seem to recall reading that some colors of granite are more stable than others. Black granite is supposed to be the most stable. I realize that most of us are striving for the holy grail of accuracy but I hope new people, like me, won't get hung up on that. I worked with troubled teens for a while and many of them got hung up on meeting some unattainable goals and it made them feel like a lesser person because of it. The title of this forum is HOBBY-Machinist. I get a little frustrated when I can't get something just right, but I always fall back on the fact that this is supposed to be fun. If I thought that a perfect granite plate was a necessity, I would be severely disappointed. It is a goal, but not a requirement. That money could buy a lot of stock to play with and practice.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  16. 4gsr

City:
    Victoria
    State:
    Texas
    PaPa Jack,

I couldn't agree any more.

Some of us will strive for the perfect flat rock we can find. Just in our blood. And I've used the concrete floor for a surface plate, too! Not so much for flatness but for a setup we had to do to check concentricity on a 30 foot seal assembly that had to run within .010" T.I.R. end to end and .003" T.I.R. between connections. Each seal assembly had around 12 connections in the 30 foot of length. The real fun was stabbing the seal assembly into the seal bore without it hanging up! We did that vertically. I got way off subject here. Sorry, Ken

17. kd4gij

kd4gij United States Active User Active Member

City:
    St. Petersburg
    State:
    Florida
    I have a piece 30x30x1 1/2 thick. It is plenty flat enough for the layout I need to do as a hobbyist. My neighbor that was doing granite work at the time even rounded the corners and polished the edges before he gave it to me.

4gsr, PaPa_Jack and Ulma Doctor like this.