Flexure Workholding of delicate or odd shapes on magnetic chuck

vtcnc

Admin
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Just wanted to share a clever solution to a seemingly difficult problem. I know I've seen this somewhere before onlin, but got a real up close look of thin magnetic clamps for odd shape or delicate work.

For proprietary reasons, I cropped out all of the important stuff. Left the common knowledge in the photo. In this case a cylinder that is non-magnetic requires close tolerance finishing on a surface grinder. There is no easy way to hold this with conventional tooling.

The arrangement below shows the simple solution, two flexure clamps are used with a third flat plate in the back as a locating stop. Place the work piece on your chuck, squeeze the flexures gently up against the workpiece and turn on the magnet.

If you look closely at the flexure in the foreground, you can see how simple it is to make one of these. Caution, they must be flat. It is wise to surface grind these and use them with the chuck they were ground on. I don't think that is a rule, but probably wise for a host of reasons.

thin magnetic clamps.png

Back