For the 3D Printing crowd.

Bone Head

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'll be needing two housings. They'll clamp over my motorcycle's 1" diameter handlebars hanging down approximately 1" and roughly 1" wide.
If it's any help, see the attached cartoon (no auto cad here).
It's to mount a set of "momentary micro switches" for turn signals on my bike's handlebars. Bike's old, so the factory never made any provisions for any switches. Hence nothing commercially is available. If anyone has a better idea I'm all ears. I'm able to cover costs.
Thanks in advance,
Mel
Switch Housing.jpg

I'd be careful on material choice here. We use 3D printed jigs in the factory and they are prone to failure. Do you have your switches already? Can you use one from another bike?

John

For general reference as I know there are lots of people new the 3D printing here:

Design for manufacture is important here. Print it with layer lines running through it horizontally and it'll fail very quickly. Print it with them running as though a section through the left hand drawing and it'll be pretty strong. Layer adhesion is always the weak point in 3DP.
This means you need to print it on its side, so for ease of printing, have one side flat so it'll sit on the build plate without support. Having radii on the edges is ok; they'll print fine so long as the layers aren't too course and there are enough wall lines. I'd print a little hotter than usual to get the best adhesion possible, accepting the slight loss in quality which is easily cleaned up with some sanding.

A good job for a 3D printed part :)

Don't get me wrong, this is interesting to me. And I'm learning a lot here; thanks for the education. Now a question. How bad can I get burned buying a used machine?
Now a word about the "momentary micro-switches". I've looked all over the interweb, and for my project 3/4" diameter hole to mount one is not "micro". Hence the need for the cartoon part I sketched. I now realize I may have to buy/trade in-to a set of late model controls/master cylinder used on '90 year Harleys.
All due to the joys of owning a basket case bike.

Back