Found an old android tablet....This product is not compatible with your devise.

RaisedByWolves

Mangler of grammar, off my meds.
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Play store keeps crashing.

Is this an android version issue? 4.4.2

Firmware version? v2.0

It is a quad core-A33 processor.

Is this thing a doorstop or is it able to run this program?

Play store keeps crashing.

Is this an android version issue? 4.4.2

Firmware version? v2.0

It is a quad core-A33 processor.

Is this thing a doorstop or is it able to run this program?

That's ten year old Android. There are very few apps that are still going to work on that. The already installed, offline, no ads, no subscription apps that are already on it will continue to work just about forever, but "connected" things (Including Google Play) are dead or maybe partly alive but badly broken. Which makes it hard to come by those apps that still work if you don't already have them. The software isn't able to do modern things, and the hardware is not able to run software that's updated enough to do the modern internet, so nobody is writing things for them.

You can navigate to Google Play, but it's broken.
You can't use it for a Chromecast or smart TV remote any more.
You can't stream music to it for any length of time, it'll crash.
You can't "internet" with it any more, as it's security protocols are too far out of date.
You can only barely "internet" with it anyhow.

Ten years ago was the days when you could buy a prepaid smart phone (a good one for the time) for 20 or 30 bucks, never hook it up, and have essentially a tiny little wifi only tablet in every room, and for every job.... I had a bunch. Well, four maybe, outside of my actual phone. My android 4 stuff held on for a very, very long time. I never owned any other variants until I went straight from that to Android 12. But it's effectively been nuked. I have ONE left that will still get Pandora, but it crashes every hour or two. Another is a dedicated alarm clock. (They're GREAT for that...) Three "phones" and a couple of tablets have been recycled, as each time the last useful app(s) sneek through my barricade and download an update, they're irrevocably broken. When they "still" have a use, they're useful. When you want to add a "new" use.... Even the old, heavy, fat tablets from ten years ago are too light and skinny to be a good doorstop. Any android that old just needs to be recycled. If you're not using it for anything else- Take it (and it's old, probably heavily degraded) lithium battery to whatever the local recycling option is and let it go....

That's ten year old Android. There are very few apps that are still going to work on that. The already installed, offline, no ads, no subscription apps that are already on it will continue to work just about forever, but "connected" things (Including Google Play) are dead or maybe partly alive but badly broken. Which makes it hard to come by those apps that still work if you don't already have them. The software isn't able to do modern things, and the hardware is not able to run software that's updated enough to do the modern internet, so nobody is writing things for them.

You can navigate to Google Play, but it's broken.
You can't use it for a Chromecast or smart TV remote any more.
You can't stream music to it for any length of time, it'll crash.
You can't "internet" with it any more, as it's security protocols are too far out of date.
You can only barely "internet" with it anyhow.

Ten years ago was the days when you could buy a prepaid smart phone (a good one for the time) for 20 or 30 bucks, never hook it up, and have essentially a tiny little wifi only tablet in every room, and for every job.... I had a bunch. Well, four maybe, outside of my actual phone. My android 4 stuff held on for a very, very long time. I never owned any other variants until I went straight from that to Android 12. But it's effectively been nuked. I have ONE left that will still get Pandora, but it crashes every hour or two. Another is a dedicated alarm clock. (They're GREAT for that...) Three "phones" and a couple of tablets have been recycled, as each time the last useful app(s) sneek through my barricade and download an update, they're irrevocably broken. When they "still" have a use, they're useful. When you want to add a "new" use.... Even the old, heavy, fat tablets from ten years ago are too light and skinny to be a good doorstop. Any android that old just needs to be recycled. If you're not using it for anything else- Take it (and it's old, probably heavily degraded) lithium battery to whatever the local recycling option is and let it go....
Staples will pay $5 in “rewards” for one item a month.

Got a Lenovo M8.

Decided to go with new everything as that way if I do have any issues troubleshooting should be much simpler.

Its pretty nice and just about the size I wanted. Loaded T-DRO and paired it with the box in about a minute and that's with me not exactly being a power user.

The best deal (biggest screen for the least $$) is an Amazon Fire 10. At least twice a year (Prime Day & Black Friday) they are $70 for a 10" tablet.

Other budget options include used tablets or phones on eBay. If using T DRO on a mill, a large screen will be a big help. Not so sure about on a lathe.

The best deal (biggest screen for the least $$) is an Amazon Fire 10. At least twice a year (Prime Day & Black Friday) they are $70 for a 10" tablet.

Other budget options include used tablets or phones on eBay. If using T DRO on a mill, a large screen will be a big help. Not so sure about on a lathe.
This is going on a mini mill so I didn't want something too big as it will be close up.

What benefits are there to a larger screen?

A larger screen opens more possibilities for displays without getting crowded or using a small font.

This is a quote from Yuri -
Text and buttons scale up, but it's driven by tablets font size so you can tweak the sizes. Larger screen is easier to use in projection view mode. You can have all three axis buttons and the sub-datum panel showing at the same time on a larger screen. Function dialogs fit better, especially in "advanced" mode.
10" is a sweet spot, IMHO. I have mine in portrait mode, so I can use the graphical view and still have dro display on screen.
On a lathe 7" is OK. Larger than 10" the price jumps significantly, so it depends on your budget...

I've used it on a 2 axis mill (well, 2 axis with a scale) on a 7" tablet and it was fine. It displays X & Y in nice big numbers and there's a bit of extra space in case you want to add RPM or whatnot.

The app is free, and you can play around with it on (almost) any Android phone or tablet. Amazon Fire are the cheapest tablets that aren't no name Chines stuff from Ali Baba. 7, 8, 10 or 11".

Back