FreeCAD - Gorgeous! I am a little intimidated!

Almost certainly, this can be done. You can probably check out the guys showing how to on YouTube just as well as I can.
I don't do any CNC at all, but it looks great! I just used search for "FreeCAD G-Code"

Some of the best are from the guy at Joko Engineering. I did not watch his video all the way through to see if he uses inches anywhere.
Start with this one, where a dude called Dave M explains, and seems to have Old Glory hung up behind him, so there's a fair chance he is using inches.

Using the path workbench is shown here, but I don't know if he stays in mm.

If there is still no clue in those two, then take your pick from lots of them --> HERE

For this, I have reached the limit of what I know. What I am reasonably certain of, is that exactly this task is commonly done, including for machines calibrated in inches. I think it's just a matter of seeking out the information about out exactly how, hopefully with some typical examples.

One can, of course, join the FreecCAD forum, and ask there. There is a section on helping those new to FreeCAD. I think they likely expect folk to have read up on usage, checked out the Wiki FAQ. I give them credit that if a genuine verified bug is found, they go after fixing it with a will.

In my experience, YT is the best resource. Browsing through a few YT videos, skipping forward as necessary, to catch the point where the very thing you want is being done is being shown, then setting it to go at 0.75 speed, or 0.5 speed, pausing as needed, and learning exactly what the dude did, has so far, worked for me OK.

You have to set an option in Path (CAM) to generate g code in inches. It defaults to metric even if your model and preferences are in inches.

You have to set an option in Path (CAM) to generate g code in inches. It defaults to metric even if your model and preferences are in inches.
Thanks for your input.
That makes sense. Regardless the units the model design is in, you have to output code to suit the CNC machine that does the work, and that could be anything. I don't actually do this for myself, but I see, when set to the Path workbench ..

Tools => Units Calculator => Preference system which offers a range of units.

There is also Tools => Edit Parameters => navigate tree => Units, about FracInch, Decimals, etc. Not sure about that.

When I look at Path => Tool Manager => New Tool, it seems to already be in inches.

OK - so now I am convinced this is not a limitation in FreeCAD. It is a matter of learning the setup options.
About here is where you design a trivial shape, and test out some code in a "dry run", to make the machine do a dance with no material there to be cut. Include in the program some pauses, to be able to at least put a rule or something up at it, indicate it, or in some way verify it appears to be doing what you expect.

Definitely follow the how-to videos from others who have done it.

So I downloaded FreeCad, thought I could poke my way about...nope. Watched the first 20 minutes of the tutorial video and not only is he moving too quick, his version looks much different...can't follow. This is my problem with changing software, I just don't have the free time to re-learn a new program. And that's why F360 has got me by the scruff.

Last edited:
well been messing with free cad, i pretty much cant get it to do anything. it will NOT post in inches. i cant get it to post a tool, wont let edit tools. can only get the default tool and cant delete that. It is the most non intuitive software i have ever tried. I have used master cam 9, 10, one cnc, surfcam 5, fusion 360, early v22 bobcad that would never produce a usable path. so i have a bit of experience. OH so frustrated. F360 will not put out tool changes or rapids for the free license, i HATE text editing. lol. I always tweek my programs and repost till they are right.

well been messing with free cad, i pretty much cant get it to do anything. it will NOT post in inches. i cant get it to post a tool, wont let edit tools. can only get the default tool and cant delete that. It is the most non intuitive software i have ever tried. I have used master cam 9, 10, one cnc, surfcam 5, fusion 360, early v22 bobcad that would never produce a usable path. so i have a bit of experience. OH so frustrated. F360 will not put out tool changes or rapids for the free license, i HATE text editing. lol. I always tweek my programs and repost till they are right.

Are you trying to get PATH to generate G-code in inches? If so, when you create the job, in the Job Edit window in the Output tab, enter "--inches" in the Arguments box.

that didnt do anything. and how do you select where to place the the file. so i can send to my machine. sorry but this software makes zero sense to me.

Last edited:
im beginning to think this download is corrupt.

Last edited:
so i uninstalled it, deleted the download. downloaded again, installed opened it up and theres my file back????? i want to delete it cant figure out how. FFS.

Here's how to tell FreeCAD where to place and name the files. The %D/%d.ngc will create a file in the same directory as the project with the same name.

This is for version 0.19, but 0.18 looks the same without the Systems option.

FreeCADSetup1.jpg

Back