G1007

neilkingent

Registered
Registered
I bought this along with the band saw. The ways have some pretty good surface rust. What's the best way to clean it off doing the least amount of damage? It doesn't look like it was used much but let set too long.
3a20b811aaa9e6dd848410f44308f71e.jpg
2ad7add90f3889e44acce6aa35568ab7.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

jarhead has a great idea.
Also, soaking rags in Evapo-rust and laying them on the ways and such for an hour or two would certainly get things going in the right direction.

I thought about marvel mystery oil and scotch bright and a razor blade

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

In my experience that'd be electrolysis or Evapo-Rust.

Buying enough ER to completely submerge the part is a bit expensive, so especially if you already have a DC power supply such as a car battery charger, then electrolysis will be the cheaper way to go.

There's a gel form of ER that clings in place, but it's not as effective as a complete dunk in liquid ER. Heating the solution also helps, speeds it up anyway, and if you can pull your parts out of a hot dunk then they tend to self-dry, so you don't get flash rust from it coming out wet. Obviously dry the parts ASAP, such as by blowing off with compressed air, warming with a heat gun or torch, spraying with WD-40 or however you you normally dry your ferrous parts.

Both ER and electrolysis assume you have disassembled the mill. If you want methods for doing it in-situ, sorry I got nothin'. Scraping with a razor and/or rubbing with steel wool soaked in WD-40 are common methods, but there's more chance of harm, and you can't get the rust in all the crannies.

I am not an expert in vintage machine restoration so I'm eager to hear other people's methods.

Think you got good replies there. Scotchbrite and elbow grease should do fine with some kerosene or mineral spirits.

Or, tear it down and use evaporust.

Think it’ll be fine with the former though and it’ll get you making chips much faster.

Don’t stress too much, unless you take an angle grinder to it you’re unlikely to mess it up.

John

Back