G704 vs RF45 Clone?

BellyUpFish

Active User
Registered
Ok, so I keep finding myself saying "if I only had a mill.."

So.. I've been eyeing a G0704 for a while, but I'm a little concerned of out growing it.

So, I've been kinda looking something like the Precision Matthews PM932M.

Seems like as long as I want to cut aluminum and softer metals, I'll be good with the 704, but if I want to cut steel, I'm asking for trouble?

I'd also like to possibly CNC it one day.

So, should I be looking at the 704 or bump up to something a little bigger like a 45 clone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another option to consider would be a PM-727m If space is limited. The 932 would be harder to outgrow.

Space isn't limited. Just want something I can use for quite some time without having the "should have gone larger" regrets.

I'm a believer in buy as much machine as you can afford and/or have room for. If I had space I would have a full size knee mill.

In a bench-top style I would look at the PM-940M. A little more cost than the PM-932-PDF but the extra travels would be worth it. I have a PM_932 I converted to CNC a few years ago. Had the 940 been available I would gone with it.

If you are thinking about CNC you can get the PM-940-CNC ready to go. If you do decide to get a manual mill to convert to CNC later be sure to get one with hardened ways. Both the PM-923 & 940 can be ordered this way.

If space isn't an issue than move right on up to a RF45 style or even the RF45 oversized mills. I have a PM45, the predecessor to the PM932. While I'm still happy with it & have no intentions on converti g to CNC, I want a BP style knee mill. But unfortunately I don't have the room.

Back