Got a VN-12 yesterday!

Junkmaster

Active User
Registered
Hello All,

I picked up a 2-for-1 deal of Craig's List yesterday. I got a Van Norman 12. The drive chain is non-functional and it is missing the over-arm support. The table and knee were tight and smooth. The spindle ran smoothly and quiet.

The paint is horrible. I appears someone might have put stripper on it, then let the stripper dry.

It will be delivered in two weeks. I can't wait to start cleaning it up getting a new paint job.

Here are some pictures:
VanNorman12_LeftSide.jpgVanNorman12_RightSide.jpg

I also got a Enco Mill/Drill in the bargin. The owner was selling these two so he can purchase a Bridgeport.

Evan R.

P.S. Sorry if this shows up twice, I wrote this up yesterday but it didn't show up. If both show up, delete this one and keep the first one.

VanNorman12_LeftSide.jpg VanNorman12_RightSide.jpg

Nice #12 Evan- wonder how much you paid so we know if we can say "You Suck!" :rofl:

The strange green is the factory color, I believe. If it were mine, would stabilize the colors with some Citrustrip and paint it with Rustoleum.
Does it have a Navy tag on it?

They changed the motor and it looks all wired up. You got the "BIG" electrical cabinet, which I think is an older machine. The serial number can tell you the age if you go to the Kusinich site and check the chart.

The overarm support is tough to get. It goes for $200 plus when you find it on Ebay. A member on here found one at the scrapyard. I don't know what he did with it- he was going to sell if on Ebay, but another member, Stoneaxe was also interested.

The guy who sold all that for a Bridgey made a mistake in my opinion- the 12 is a very sturdy machine, but his loss is your gain!

Show us the restoration pics and ask any questions you have!

:tiphat:Nelson

congrats, Evan, Was this in the San Antonio Craigs list? If so you god a very good buy!. I was interested but have no floor space for more big machines. No 12s don't show up often in this part os texas.
I have a small horizontal mill that has been waitiing over 6 months to be set up. I've never run a horizontal mill.

Joe

Re: Got a VAN-12 yesterday!

Doesn't a 12 take a #10 Brown & Sharpe Taper? Looks like you got a good machine.

Paul

The collets are 5Vs, which was Van Norman's version of the 5c. Tools4cheap.net has a set of good quality imports. They have the shell mill holders too.

As for the overarm holder, one guy on PM had them cast, though he has no more. Some people make their own.

The VN-12 was in Salado (north of Austin about 20 miles). He posted it in the Dallas Craig's list, so maybe he also posted it in the San Antonio.
The seller had purchased a full set of 5V collets they come with the machine. Yep the motor had been changed to 220V single phase.

As far as me sucking, I'm pretty sure you'll say that when I tell you what I paid. I got both the VN-12 and the Enco for 1600.00.
The seller is purchasing a Bridgeport from someone who is north of me about 20 miles. He is delivering the machines (180 miles)for the cost of gas. Again, wow.
All I have to do is figure out how to get them off his trailer (flatbed car carrier).

My driveway has a incline of 4-5 degrees, so it isn't as simple as I'd like. I do not think an engine hoist would have the height to get it off the trailer.
I'll call the rental places and rigging companies tomorrow to see what they suggest. A sales person at Northern tool pointed me to a scissor lift that could handle 2200 pounds for $600.
I hate to spend that money on something I'll use maybe once a year. I browsed forklift rentals for about 90 seconds, they start at $350 a day and go up.
Of course, a forklift could set it on my roof, but I don't have a 220 outlet up there:)).

About repainting, I searched this site and people tend to like implement paint from Farm Supply. There is a Farm Supply about 15 miles from here, so I'll go check it out.

I'm going to have to get a camera and tripod. Taking photos with my cell phone is too shaky/blurry. Also, my cell phone smells like cutting oil. OK, that isn't all bad.

Later folks,

Evan R.

I unloaded a 9x42 enco mill and a j head bridgeport using a temporary ramp and 1" pieces of pipe as rollers. I used a come-a-long to pull the machines off the flat bed trailers. Fairly easy process. My drive has a much steeper slope. Good luck!

Joe

Evan,

We unloaded my first VN #12 off a long flatbed trailer. We used pipe to roll it to the edge, then the engine hoist to get it off.

You need to use chain to hoist it with the engine hoist- the sling will stretch and you won't have enough height. Take the motor off, put it around the ram tight, or remove the ram (2 guys needed) and put it in the hole just below the ways on the column (800 pounds) and lift it off.

I will be honest- the engine hoist lifted in the back during the process, and I stood on it with one leg to keep it down until we rolled it back from the trailer. Not the safest move, but we made it, then I lowered it to the driveway.

If you want to make it easy on yourself- get a guy with a tow truck- they're the best! He can lift it right off the trailer and onto your driveway in five minutes with no "heart in your mouth" excitement like I had. :rofl:

Check for pics I posted on here of the breakdown of my first VN mill. The second I brought down into the basement without painting first.

You did good on the price for both with a full set of 5v's- the larger sizes are impossible to buy (like 3/4 and up).

Back